Will hot water damage dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON

Reaction score
And today's stupid question is;
I've got my dry suit introduction in a swimming pool tomorrow, and I was wondering if I could just stand underneath the hot shower afterwards fully equipped to rinse off the chlorine, or can hot water damage some of the equipment, the showers overhear are usually very hot and nonadjustable ! (The dry suit is membrane with latex)

I would not advise trying it.

It'd want to be fairly hot to damage the seals but I wouldn't say it would do then any good. If you want to get back in the suit at home and get in under a cold shower, but you won't want to, trust me.

just throw it over the clothes line and turn the hose on it. then leave it out to dry, hanging it by the boots/lower leg.

if you want to really be strict about it, tuen the latex seal back up the sleves to stop the UV from the sunlight breaking down the latex. But its really a waste in time, make no difference except from a theoretical point of view.

I would think that any shower that the location intends for human use (without burning the human, of course) would easily be fine for a drysuit.

I do not have any practical knowledge, since my suit hasn't yet arrived.

Call the suit manufacturer if you feel uncomfortable making the decision.

Sean

If the water isn't too hot for humans, it won't mess up your suit .
We've been in 100°f nuke pools without any problems. (other than sweating out a gallon or 2)
Stay away from any soap though, it may have some of those mischief making perfumes in it.

to add tho that,

most pools have an on deck fresh water hose...

have someone hose you off.

that is what I did. the hose at our local pool is in a room just off of the deck... just ask the staff...

nice cool frech water..

Wont hurt it at all - i do it regulary with my suit without problems.
It needs a LOT more than shower temperature to damage latex !

I also turn my suit inside out and submerge it in a warm/hot bath of water at home to wash out the inside of the suit (because it leaks like a sieve).

Youd have a problem exiting the pool and walking over the steps to our showers though, especially with XL fins on :)

Incidentally, the pool itself is near 30c (as they tend to be in britain). The shower isnt MUCH hotter than that.

Back
Top Bottom