Will I learn to Love it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstridWilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m getting certified this weekend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to snorkel and always wondered what it would be like to take the next step. You know I have only done the confined pool dives and I do not love it. I’m not crazy about the weight of all the gear you have to have on versus the freedom that snorkeling provides you. The air makes my throat so dry I can not swallow. Still having buoyancy control issues. I can not Hoover; Seems like I’m on the bottom or on the top. Will all this get better???
The reason I am asking is cause, I know I’ve only done this in a pool and this weekend will be in a very cold quarry where I have to wear a wet suit. My idea of diving is someplace really warm with great visibility and lots of fish. I am visiting Madeira beach for a week in September. Is there a dive center or Dive that you recommend? An easy dive that will make me LOVE LOVE it???

This will sound cliche, but the more you dive, the better you will get, the more you will see. You're bouancy will be better and your air consumption will drop.

There is something to be said for the lack of gear when you're free diving or snorkeling, but there are just somethings you can only see on SCUBA.

When you get to the point where you can dive your local off shore wrecks, you will then get to see some world class diving.

Two Octobers ago I was down there for a few days and the water temp was in the 70's at 100fsw. It was warm and amazing vis.

There is fantastic wildlife down there. On a lot of the wrecks you will see the amazing sand tiger sharks. You'll see Atlantic Spade fish in big schools. You'll see the Jack and Tuna schooling. Lot's of schooling bait fish. Eels, all sorts of rays, sea turtles. Last year I even saw a Mola Mola on a cleaning station on the Dixie Arrow.

You can't see that with a snorkel. Well you may, but you'd be a world class free diver.

The quarry diving is just that, quarry diving. If you can get comfortable in that, when you get to the warm blue stuff, diving will be second nature.

Good luck!

I had some serious issues in my open water class as well and now I can't get enough. It takes some time to get used to it but it is worth it. Remember you are going into a new world. You have the same issues that a lot of others have whenthey first start. You will get the hang of it if you stick it out. What dates are you going to be down here? Maybe we can get a dive set up. Something to help you get the hang of it.

If you are not comfortable with diving you should stop. I have read lots of stories of people persuing diving even though they are not comfortable, and having accidents some of them fatal. DONT BE ONE OF THOSE.
Slow down your training so you can enjoy it and learn the skills to make safe dives.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom