Will I look stupid with a DAN safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figure when I ever really need it, i'll REALLY need it and it better be as big as possible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You care what folks think? It's way dumber to need a big sausage and not have one than to have one and not need it. And when you need a sausage, you need a big one.

Thanks for the smile, fellas. As they say, size does matter. I just upgraded from 6'-8' (not ").

I'm going to be diving in Grand Cayman and Belize next month. I have the DAN safety sausage, and a somewhat smaller one. My hesitation in using the DAN one is that not only is it kind of big, I get the feeling in certain dive spots that people are wondering just what I expect to go wrong that would require a sausage that might (possibly) be visible from any near Earth orbit. (E.g. this kind of sausage is overkill when you're doing the Catalina dive park...)

Is the typical boat reef-diving off of AC in Belize such that this kind of sausage is way overkill and I should use my regular (still large) but not over the top sausage? How about the Blue hole 3-dive trip? Or are currents/other events a reasonable possibility and in fact I won't look quite as dumb with it as I fear? (If you want to chime in for the same question diving Grand Caymans, please do so.)
Don't be mislead into thinking the waters in Belize won't give you nice 6ft waves. Then you'll be thankful you had a DSMB that can be seen.

How big is it? I looked at the DAN site and only found the small/normal 6ft ones. I didn't know that DAN sells a big one.

I've been on some boats where they distribute decent size ones of 10 - 12ft long and 10 inch diameter for emergencies.

There are things to be self conscious about on a dive boat (if your belly covers you Speedo, you should consider different attire), the size of your sausage should never be one of them.

There are things to be self conscious about on a dive boat (if your belly covers you Speedo, you should consider different attire), the size of your sausage should never be one of them.

If you can't see your own Speedo, no one else wants to either.

In all my diving in Belize, I never needed an SMB. Until I did. Big waves. We could see the boat but they couldn't see or hear us. Unfortunately, I didn't have one. Fortunately, my dive guide did.

Otherwise, we might still be out there, bobbing around and wondering if we were ever going to wash ashore.

We were issued a big sausage on Star Dancer, we already had taken our own along. The ones they issued were bigger, so we used those. Like they said, if you have to use one you'll be really happy to have it seen as you are floating out in the middle of no-where with waves/swells that can easily reach the size of your sausage.
We've never had to use them, but there is a reason to use them, have you ever been off shore at night? I would always want one in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom