Will my Suunto Mosquito limit me in PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segal3

Reaction score
Going on a PNG liveaboard for a week in just over a month (beginning of June), and was wondering if I would be limited by the extreme conservatism that the Suunto computers' algorithm has shown to exhibit?

In Maui, doing 13 dives over 4 days, the last two or so dives I received "deco stops" from the Mosquito, albeit only for a minute or two, but even so, that amount of dives is nothing compared to that of a liveaboard (~5/day for 5-6days)...

What do I do? Any suggestions as to a computer I can grow into? Something not as conservative, but not extremist?

Thanks in advance for any help...trying to figure this out with my limited time...

~Matt Segal

The Palegic Family... Aeris, Oceanic, Sherwood and much closer to naui or Padi dive table times. For example, an Aeris Atmos 2 allows a 60 ft for 57 minutes - navy table say 60 for 60, padi and naui say a 60 for 55.

An Atmos 2 wrist, with warranty is under $300... so I'd say yes... pick one up. When we did the live aboard in Truuk, the folks with Suunto were having to skip one or 2 dives per day.

segal3:
Going on a PNG liveaboard for a week in just over a month (beginning of June), and was wondering if I would be limited by the extreme conservatism that the Suunto computers' algorithm has shown to exhibit?

What is more limitining -

Decompression chambers and unknown medical expertise in a remote site

or

5 minutes less bottom time?

The discussion about computers being too conservative is as sickening as smokers ignoring the health warnings about lung cancer!

toni_al:
What is more limitining -
Decompression chambers and unknown medical expertise in a remote site
or
5 minutes less bottom time?

You might want to read this - http://www.underwaterbob.com/dive_computers.htm ...you obviously did not read my entire post in which I stated that even on a trip of ~4dives/day, I was getting "deco stops" from my computer, where people with other less conservative dive computers had plenty of time and no reports of being bent. I love how there are proven results of conservatism that you obviously aren't willing to look at...

I'm sorry that I'm slightly better on air such that my dives are 60-70min, and missing one is not good. If my dives were only 5min long, then no, I wouldn't mind missing one.

And please don't make false comparisons, equating cancer to dive tables...wtf?

~Matt Segal

segal3:
You might want to read this - http://www.underwaterbob.com/dive_computers.htm ...you obviously did not read my entire post in which I stated that even on a trip of ~4dives/day, I was getting "deco stops" from my computer, where people with other less conservative dive computers had plenty of time and no reports of being bent. I love how there are proven results of conservatism that you obviously aren't willing to look at...

read this http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/DAN270404.shtml

you need mosquito repellent

toni_al:

So now you believe that everyone who uses anything but the tables and/or Suunto Mosquito is in the wrong?

I didn't come to the equipment section to receive a lecture on procedures - I came for a computer recommendation after I described a problem that I had, and that others (scubatoy) had noticed in Truk.

I'm still looking for more recommendations. Deal.

~Matt Segal

I kinda' get a kick out of these arguments... "Use a suunto because it's more conservative"... then hell... don't dive because that's more conservative!

And just because a computer is liberal - does not mean the diver has to be... I drive pickups now... but I had a Corvette, and a Porsche each that would do over 140... doesn't mean I have to drive that fast every time I get in 'em.

Same for computers. Easy to use... just jump in and don't let the big number hit Zero. You want to be conservative?? Then don't let the big number hit 5. What's so hard about that?

At at the last Dan meeting for Doctors here in Dallas, where I went to assist... they brought up stats that your odds of taking a bends hit are about 1 in 28,000, and then it is normally due to ascent rate, and dehydration.

So call me a rebel, but I don't wait an hour after eating to swim, I run with scissors, and I dive an Aeris.

Larry, You,re a rebel :D

segal3:
So now you believe that everyone who uses anything but the tables and/or Suunto Mosquito is in the wrong?

I didn't come to the equipment section to receive a lecture on procedures - I came for a computer recommendation after I described a problem that I had, and that others (scubatoy) had noticed in Truk.

I'm still looking for more recommendations. Deal.

~Matt Segal
I imagine the dives in Truk were fairly deep square profiles. The Suunto is far less likely to limit you on multilevel reef dives with long sloping profiles. PNG is known for reefs that rise to within a few feet of the surface. It should be pretty easy to dive profiles that look like elongated check marks. The Suunto shouldn't limit you much with such profiles.

As far as other computers, the Uwatecs are slightly more liberal but I've sort of soured on them. The most liberal computer I ever dove was my Orca Edge. The thing was the size and weight of a large brick.

Back
Top Bottom