Will titanium rod in the leg be affected during diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No big pieces of metel here, however I have a titanium dental implant that will sometimes get cold and give me a cold headache bad enough to bring tears to my eyes.

By the way, have any of you cyborgs gone on one of those machines where they measure your weight and then calculate your body fat composition apparently by sending a current through your feet and hands? I tried one the other day and junked the result slip because the results seemed like rubbish. Measured my right leg (with the rod) as having 3.7% fat and the left as 16.1%. The right leg's impedance was 100+ less than the left so it was 100 odd vs upper 200s. Could it be the metal rod being a better conductor of electricity than fat or muscle?

It's pretty amazing how far medical technology has come in the last 15-20 years isn't it? Glad to hear that if something does ever happen to me I should still be able to dive, but you all are making me consider getting rid of my bikes whenever I get back to the states. Look at the bright side though...less weight required to head down!

The difference in weight is < minimal and trust me, it ain't worth it.:D

It's pretty amazing how far medical technology has come in the last 15-20 years isn't it? Glad to hear that if something does ever happen to me I should still be able to dive, but you all are making me consider getting rid of my bikes whenever I get back to the states. Look at the bright side though...less weight required to head down!

The difference in weight is < minimal and trust me, it ain't worth it.:D

Doc told me there would be insignificant weight difference. I do swim a lot and I was concerned that it would affect my swimming, make my leg more negative. I have not found that to be an issue at all. It could be slightly heavier but not noticeably so. My leg atrophied to an UNBELIEVABLE amount! Now 2.5 years later I am actually starting to run again, my swim times are not what they used to be but it has nothing to do with the titanium, the accident took a lot out of me in other ways. My leg looks normal except for scars and it DOES NOT affect scuba diving at all, hiking for a shore dive in doubles, yeah, in the water, NO. Unless your doc has told you different (and for other reasons--there are other medical reasons not to dive as a result of an injury) you should consider the titanium equipment :wink: transparent to your diving.

BTW, I go straight through metal detectors with no problems. Comforting that is ins't it.

N

I have a total hip replacement and have no issues. In fact, SCUBA is one of the recreational activities recommended to take up.

I have a total hip replacement and have no issues. In fact, SCUBA is one of the recreational activities recommended to take up.
When my father had his hips replaced...not at the same time which he regretted later...he found that he wasn't healing very quickly at all. I recommended he get in the pool and swim laps as he felt comfortable to do, and it cut his recovery/healing time in a big way. His doctor now recommends swimming to all of his patients (that can swim) and has had great results. For those that have had replacements done, has this worked the same way for you too? I figure non-impact, total body as swimming is has to work well for the recovery effort. My only concern would be for the extra weight out of the water as we gear up.

I am a medical doctor but have not been trained in diving-related medicine at all so can't offer a professional opinion. From the posters here, it seems like many have done well. But anecdotal evidence is not evidence. I would still get a professional opinion considering the amount you want to dive. Have you tried contacting DAN? They should be able to put you in touch with doctors specialized in the area who can give you specific advice.

Best of luck!

My fiancée has a large titanium rod and 5 pins in her back, she is an active technical diver with over 2000 dives and has been to a max depth of 410ft (125m), without issues so far. She has been warned that she may have an increased theoretical DCS risk due to the massive amounts of scar tissue in her spine, but hasn't affected her yet.

I have just been corrected, she has 7 pins, not 5, lol...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom