Windows 8 is not at all like windows 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Microsoft is trying to debut a universal operating system for all their supported devices just as Apple has successfully (Tablet, phone, computer). The major difference is so far through testing Apple has been wise enough to discern the differences between all devices mentioned and the core functionality of them. iOS works for mobile operating systems quite differently than it will for a Mac computer but still has the core GUI and functionality that makes the entire experience far more seamless throughout. In turn, Microsoft has tried a similar approach but has essentially (and poorly I personally believe) made a port from what was developed on Smartphones and tablet devices onto XBox live and the Windows 8 desktop client. If you're like me and enjoy the typical start-bar that Microsoft has religiously included with every OS released up and until now this may help you a tad.

I also dislike the "tiles" base of windows 8. AND, my photoshop cs4 will not operate on it. It is making me buy cs6. THAT pisses me off more than anything.
If you dislike it in the US try being in Australia, Adobe and Microsoft have marked up their prices so much here that if you want to buy CS6 Master here it is actually cheaper to buy a plane ticket to LA fly across buy a copy in from nearest retailer and then fly back... you will be left with about $500 change.

US RRP US$ 2,599
Aus RRP A$4,344
Difference $1745
Return ticket on United
$1268

Balance left over $477

Those figures are from the Adobe website and Travel.com

Of course I could fly to Hong Kong (about $800 return) and by an international english version there for HKD$6530 (US or A $825) and get it cheaper than it is in the States.

Last edited:
If you're like me and enjoy the typical start-bar that Microsoft has religiously included with every OS released up and until now...

Wow, I don't remember the Start bar on any of my versions of DOS. Just teasing ya.

Windows 8 devices are getting slammed by manufacturers across the board.
And service providers are struggling with their serial number being written to the motherboard of computers and tablets
restores and or replacement of the motherboard is causing major issues
I plan to stay with 7 and skip 8 all together

And service providers are struggling with their serial number being written to the motherboard of computers and tablets
restores and or replacement of the motherboard is causing major issues

Holy bison poop... are you saying that Win 8 locks onto a single motherboard so that if I upgrade to a new MB, Win 8 no longer recognizes my license. If that's a fact, I've had it with Microsoft for good. If I have to buy a new OS and license for any major hardware upgrades to my computer, they've definitely lost me.

youre service provider requires special tools (software) so that the can reinsert licensing after board replacement
each manufacturer has their own tool
Changing your own board could be a problem

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 04:57 PM ----------

give it 6 more months of poor sales and it will go poof

This will be the worst ms os since vista

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

While I can't disagree with the consensus conclusions in this thread, the analysis and facts are all wrong.

I've been using Windows 8 just fine for 6 months now. All in all it's a wash. It's not the worst thing ever and it's also not any better for me.

I only wish that I had a choice with my new Samsung laptop... I would easily have gone with Windows 7 over Windows 8. Absolutely hate 8... very few redeeming qualities... oops, what am I saying? Absolutely NO redeeming qualities for me other than it allows me to run some of my legacy software under VMWare. I've downloaded all the Win 7 drivers for my laptop and will be downgrading soon!

Oh, I assure you, there are redeeming qualities. For example, the Hyper-V role is now available in Win 8. Couple that with Visual Studio 2012 and I can easily develop mobile applications and test them (using the touch screen on my elite book tablet ) using a virtual device.

But I'd imagine a "user" wouldn't care about this. As a development manager / architect, it's really nice to me and my team members.

Back
Top Bottom