Wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynz_08

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin,
Been checking out the DSS rigs and love the sleekness and travel friendly set-up. Have decided on a Kydex plate/ Pro Harness but still undecided on the wing size. I am 5''6 170 pound. My dive set up is usually 3mm suit (maybe 4 with a additional 1mm guard if needed), 1-2 pound weight, compact camera with wide angle lens and one strobe. I sometimes dive in only 1mm/boardshorts as well with 0-1 pound weight. My current BC is a Deep Outdoors Unity. I am hoping the 17 Taurus would suffice but just wanted to check if it is pushing it and may require a bit more lift as buffer.

thanks for your help.

cheers
Lynz

Hi Tobin,
Been checking out the DSS rigs and love the sleekness and travel friendly set-up. Have decided on a Kydex plate/ Pro Harness but still undecided on the wing size. I am 5''6 170 pound. My dive set up is usually 3mm suit (maybe 4 with a additional 1mm guard if needed), 1-2 pound weight, compact camera with wide angle lens and one strobe. I sometimes dive in only 1mm/boardshorts as well with 0-1 pound weight. My current BC is a Deep Outdoors Unity. I am hoping the 17 Taurus would suffice but just wanted to check if it is pushing it and may require a bit more lift as buffer.

thanks for your help.

cheers
Lynz

Lynz,

At 5'6" tall you need a medium plate. You haven't told me what you are using for a cylinder. If I assume an al 80 then you could use the Torus 17.

Let me know what you are using for tanks.

You may also want to consider a Hogarthian Harness, simpler and less expensive.

Tobin

Hi Tobin,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the tanks are al80.
For the 17, it should still be sufficient if i added another strobe to my cam? I would still have some buffer?

appreciate the help...tks!

cheers
Lynz

Hi Tobin,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the tanks are al80.
For the 17, it should still be sufficient if i added another strobe to my cam? I would still have some buffer?

appreciate the help...tks!

cheers
Lynz

How negative is your camera + strobes? Most are not very negative.

Tobin

Hi,
I think the strobes and camera are about 1.5lbs each on land..total about 4.5lbs. (if i use 2 strobes)

tks
Lynz

Hi,
I think the strobes and camera are about 1.5lbs each on land..total about 4.5lbs. (if i use 2 strobes)

tks
Lynz

"Dry Weights" of anything are not of much interest, we don't use a "wing" to fly our gear across the parking lot.:wink:

In water buoyancy is what matters. Most camera's and accessories are not very negative. If they were they'd be harder to use.

Even so at 1.5 lbs another strobe won't change my recommendation.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom