Wing Choice Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an approximate 17 pound wing converted from an old horse collar. It works fantastic. I tried a 30# HOG wing and didn't like it at all. I've dived another 28-30 pound wing and also felt it was "too large". I dive wet and dry from water in the 80s to water in the low 40s with the same wing. I have yet to find a compelling reason to change that.

There is a calculator that I found very useful here:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

It will tell you how much lift you will actually need based upon your kit and that's more valuable (in my opinion) than all the advise you'll get from those of us who don't know what you're actually using.

I have a t-27 i think and it works great and has enough reserve to handle lifting a buddy or gear on a full tank if needed. I dont see any effect of runing bubble with my 8" tanks mounted as singles. i especially like the full donut design to allow air to cross over at the boot end of the tank to allow using the rear vent with out rolling the bubble around the neck.

Wing size depends most on exposure suit and tank size.

With 3mm wetsuit, the amount of boyance lost due to depth compression is small, so 17lb wing should take care of that.

At the beginning of the dive, a properly weighted diver should be over weighted by the gas in tank. At surface, diver should be able to flow with head above water comfortably. So wing need to lift gas weight + head. Here is what I think 17lb may not be sufficient. AL80 carries 6lb of gas, that leaves 11lb to float diver's head above water. If this works, I think it is quite marginal. If the tank is 100cf (HP100 or AL100), weight of gas is 8lb. That leaves 9lb to flow diver's head above water. I doublt this will be comfortable.

I will recommend something like 25lb +/- a few lb. A well deisgn sing of this size should still be very streamline and efficient.

eelnoraa summs it up very well. tank change, wet suit change, extra gear ect could leave you a bit on the short side of positive bouyancy

I think the 17 would be fine if I always wore at least a 3mm full suit and didn't need to assist a buddy. You make some very valid points and I am going to get at 27 based on your help and input.

As with most things, it depends. As you've seen different people have different opinions based upon what works for them. The calculator I linked to says I have about 6 pounds of wiggle room, which makes up for a change in exposure or tanks but not both... I don't currently dive large tanks, though, so my extra wiggle room gives me plenty of variance in my exposure protection. The suggestion of a 25 pound wing is a good compromise, though because it gives you more margin and is still a reasonable size wing. All the brands I've seen that make a wing that size are more than suitable.

Another option is to stay with a small wing and carry "extra" or "redundant" buoyancy such as a lift bag or SMB when you need the extra lift on the surface. Probably not the optimum choice, but it is an option.

Back
Top Bottom