Wing Inflator Hose Centered or Offset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a look at the VDH 35lb wing which looks incredible especially the shell materials. I'm still leaning towards the Apeks D40 because I think the extra 5lbs would give me peace of mind. Does anyone have experience with the PSD version of the wing and can speak to the durability?

I sent you a pm about a halcyon 40 single tank wing I ordered by accident

I took a look at the VDH 35lb wing which looks incredible especially the shell materials. I'm still leaning towards the Apeks D40 because I think the extra 5lbs would give me peace of mind. Does anyone have experience with the PSD version of the wing and can speak to the durability?
Someone here mentioned that they did a lift test with the VDH 35 wing and it turned out to be more than 35, closer to 40.
That was with it attached to a plate with a tank.

Centered because the left post regulator can be difficult to seat or the hoses to route when the wing inflator is on the left. The inflator mechanism needs to be turned slightly as well so the auto-inflator button is less easily depressed into stage/deco bottles causing inflation.

I have a HOG wing, centered hose. I dislike it....in the way of my reg hoses.
My understanding is that the center exhaust hose is meant for twin tank set ups. That way it does not interfere with the two regulators.

For warm water diving I dove a Deep Sea Supply 17 pound wing for years and loved it. My only complaint was that the inflator hose was centered at the top of the wing and interfered with the regulator and could put considerable pressure against the wireless transmitter if fully inflated. God help the poor soul who asked Tobin why he would not offset the inflator hose!!

I switched to a Halcyon 20 pound wing and I love the offset inflator hose position...but I am not a fan of the need for a STA compared to the DSS setup.

For warm water diving I dove a Deep Sea Supply 17 pound wing for years and loved it. My only complaint was that the inflator hose was centered at the top of the wing and interfered with the regulator and could put considerable pressure against the wireless transmitter if fully inflated. God help the poor soul who asked Tobin why he would not offset the inflator hose!!

I switched to a Halcyon 20 pound wing and I love the offset inflator hose position...but I am not a fan of the need for a STA compared to the DSS setup.
If you’re brave enough and not worried about modifying the wing you can always take a hot butter knife and melt in slots where you want them.
But then you might need to figure out something to control tank roll if you want to skip the STA.
I don’t know why Halcyon decided to do away with slots. They were the first ones to come up with slotted plates and wings, and now they abandoned the concept?

I would not want a 18-30 pounds single wing with the inflator hose in the center. This is a hold over design element, again, just like the central ridge on a bent metal doubles plate, from double tank thinking. For a single tank rig, IMO, the much preferred and for me only acceptable position is offset to the left so that it clears my regulator and hoses.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom