Winter Diving in D.C. Area??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After hunting around, I found such a good deal on a dry suit that I bit the bullet. I suspect by diving dry I'll have a lot more options. For course, I do have to learn to use the thing. So, if you are out at a quarry and see someone dangling upside down, your kind assistance in turning me around would be would be most appreciated.

Hal

Aquaman,

My 12 year old and I did the Dive Quest dive during Thanksgiving. That was a tremendous dive albeit short. He was petrified of sharks until that dive. Now he understands the deal with marine critters.

We're going to Ginnie Springs and Devil's Den at the end of March. Any tips?

That dive quest sure is a blast. My girl friend was in the same boat as your son with sharks. Though after dive quest she seems to have a new appreciation of them, there are some big ones down there.

As for Ginnie Springs and Devil's Den there are no real tips that I can offer. Ginnie Springs is one of my favorite dive spots. The water is always crystal clear and it's, for the most part shallow water diving that offers a lot to see. We have been to Ginnie Springs two years in a row and had a blast both times, in fact I just got back from there. The only advice I can offer is to make sure that you dive all the caverns. At the main spring, the first one you will come to when driving out from the gift shop there is the ballroom which is perhaps the most extravagant. There is a small entry way down into the cavern and make sure that you have lights. The main spring is the only one that they will allow lights into unless you are a certified cave diver.

Once down to the second parking spot you have devil's ear, eye and some other great diving. Devil's Den is fun though we didn't return back to it this year. I enjoyed it and thought the main cavern was a blast though my gf got claustrophobic and uneasy during the swim through and didn't want to dive it again. Personally I think it's a blast, just take the swim through slow - you can't get lost but it kind of feels like you could.

As for exposure protection I was wearing a 5/3mm in Ginnie this year and was more then warm. You may want a hood or 3mm beanie just for extra protection.

Hal,
Look, I will be the first to say that the agencies are too happy selling certs, but, if you are trying to get used to doubles, a wing, dual regs, etc, the last thing I would recommend is topping it off with a new drysuit. Not that I am saying to go running to PADI or any of the others for the drysuit class, but, get used to one thing then the other. Doubles are awesome, and so are drysuits. I had over 100 dives dry before I got around to getting a card. And as far as I know, there is no doubles class- though I am sure some agency will come up with a intro to tech that really is an intro to common sense.....The other thing- find a shop that will do the dry course in a shallow part of a lake or quarry. NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! put any gear you like into a chlorine infested pool- it will destroy it- end of discussion. If they insist on the pool, have them hose you in the drysuit before entry, as this will alieviate absorbtion of chlorine.
Just my 2 PSI
-J

Jay's right. When I did my DM course in florida they let us dive w/ doubles and wings do we could get used to it and at least know the proper procedure so we could help/coach other divers on that. I have only tried a dry-suit once or twice and don't own one. The times I did try it out I found it very tricky so I would recommend a course or at least working with an experienced dry diver till you get used to it.

I was going to get a drysuit but had a grandmother kind enough to get me Pinnacle's Extreme Semi-Dry for my birthday. I have been in some ice cold water in that baby and been super toasty so I am holding off getting a drysuit for now. It still stinks when you get out into ice cold air but at least you can feel like a real hardcore diver stripping it off when it's 22 outside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom