Winter diving in Lake Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did an Altitude class many years ago at Lake Tahoe. We caught a lot of crawdads, cooked them up in a marinara sauce and served them over spaghetti.

There's not much air at Lake Tahoe - altitude 6225 feet. The only oxygen within 20 miles was in my SCUBA tank. Next time I will bring EANx 40 for the hike from the beach to the truck.

Richard

Tahoe boring?

I beg to differ. Tahoe offers execelent diving, oh sure, it's not some tropical carnaval for warm water pussys. Diving Lake Tahoe gives one the opportunity to examine the central core of the sport, the chi. For those of you that need to be entertained you would be happier somewhere else like Cozumel. Diving Lake Tahoe is not for the shallow minded.

There are three execellent wall dives, Rubicon ( as mentioned ) , Stateline wall and Purple Haze (Deadman's Point). It should be noted that there can be access problems in the winter and these walls might have to be reached by boat. These are massive walls and they drop into the abyss. I live 20 minutes from the Rubicon wall, i I'am very fortunate!

There are sunken barges in Emerald Bay, Meeks Bay offers good diving with deep water. For a winter shore dive you might be looking at Sand Harbor on the East shore ( Shallow) or Huracane Bay on the West shore (deep).

It's ture, getting gas is a pain, however, we are currently working on banking 32% Nitrox at Strictly Scuba in South Carson City ( 32 is perfect for the Lake) we hope to have the project completed by Dec.

Drop me a line before you guys come up.

TG

Tahoe boring?

I beg to differ. Tahoe offers execelent diving, oh sure, it's not some tropical carnaval for warm water pussys. Diving Lake Tahoe gives one the opportunity to examine the central core of the sport, the chi. For those of you that need to be entertained you would be happier somewhere else like Cozumel. Diving Lake Tahoe is not for the shallow minded.

There are three execellent wall dives, Rubicon ( as mentioned ) , Stateline wall and Purple Haze (Deadman's Point). It should be noted that there can be access problems in the winter and these walls might have to be reached by boat. These are massive walls and they drop into the abyss. I live 20 minutes from the Rubicon wall, i I'am very fortunate!

There are sunken barges in Emerald Bay, Meeks Bay offers good diving with deep water. For a winter shore dive you might be looking at Sand Harbor on the East shore ( Shallow) or Huracane Bay on the West shore (deep).

It's ture, getting gas is a pain, however, we are currently working on banking 32% Nitrox at Strictly Scuba in South Carson City ( 32 is perfect for the Lake) we hope to have the project completed by Dec.

Drop me a line before you guys come up.

TG

Warm water pussies? (not pussys)

You're a clown... Most of the people on this particular part of SB dive Norther California waters, which day over day are colder than Tahoe. The Chi? :rofl3: Tahoe is like diving a desert, or a desert with a few "walls" whoop de doo. Just because other people don't like diving in your little pond, isn't an insult to you or Tahoe.

You're a clown... Most of the people on this particular part of SB dive Norther California waters, which day over day are colder than Tahoe. The Chi? :rofl3: Tahoe is like diving a desert, or a desert with a few "walls" whoop de doo. Just because other people don't like diving in your little pond, isn't an insult to you or Tahoe.

Yeah, what he said.

Tell you what, I'll extend the same offer to you. You come down here and we'll go diving to some spots that will make Cozumel look boring.

I've dived Rubicon and Sand Harbor, and it's exactly as described by Anti-Hero.

Throw me in on this one too. I have dove Tahoe a few times, and with scooters it would be considered more fun, but either way it gets boring quick. Plus the water is too warm and I overheat in my drysuit, until we reach a deeper depth. I have kayak dove the South Shore and kayak dove Rubicon Wall. I will be back to dive the barge in Emerald Bay at some point. Anyone ever scooter dove the barge and if so from where? What about kayak diving the barge? Seems like there should be somewhere inside Emerald Bay to easily launch a kayak. Sucks not owning a boat anymore. We might get a group together and rent a boat for a few hours.

The coolest thing I saw underwater at Tahoe was a Kokanee eating fish fry from a bait ball within 3 feet of me. Chomp! Chomp!

Why so long to build a bank system for nitrox? I understand it is the off season, but nitrox mixing is not expensive nor terribly hard. If you have not already get the Oxy Hackers book from Vance. Tons of great info on how to cost effectively produce nitrox.

Tahoe diving is not that bad - I say it is what you make of it. Honestly speaking, its a reasonable dive spot that is close to the Sacramento area that makes it attractive for most. Clear water, history, and depth also help make it attractive for instruction and training.

Zephyr Cove is also a neat place to go when you want to look for phat loot :) Not to mention beach clean up, etc.

Dive anything at least once - then go from there...my motto anyway.

I have gone diving in Tahoe many times over the years, but always in the summer. I would not recommend the winter. In the summer, the water is not too cold on the surface until you hit the thermal inversion about 20-30 feet down. I use a 7mm wetsuit and I'm fine. I don't know if it's there anymore, but there used to be a shipwreck in Emerald Bay. It is on the port side as you enter by boat, and part of it used to stick out of the water. It's pretty big. If you listen to the tour boat captains, it's a three masted scooner. What it really was used for was to dump garbage
into the bay from the castle. There was also a small submerged rowboat. Other sites have some interesting large rocks and small fish. You get your gear rinsed well!

I am definately interested in diving Tahoe. As stated for the experience if nothing else.
I have a boat, is navagation easy in the winter.

I am from Tahoe orginally, taught scuba diving there for years, and still love going back there to dive now that I live in thTe Bay Area. Of course, Tahoe diving is not the tropics but that is what makes it fun. his is a unique experience that I would recommend to anyone. Tahoe is known for its wonderful viz, great geology, and remarkable drop-offs. Diving in the winter can get cold(especially the air temp when you get out) but I always find it quite enjoyable. This may sound funny, of all the places in the world I have been diving, Tahoe is one of my favorites. Some of the best dive sites are inaccessible in the winter but there is still a selection of good ones. If you want any more information, let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom