Winterpeg diving...In Feb????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi to all our western friends.....

I am travelling to Winnipeg in early February (Yes, on business....who in their right mind would voluntarily go out there?), and was wondering if there is any group active in ice diving (I assume that is the only option that time of year)? I am certified, and would hate to go on a trip and not dive......especially to such a dive mecca. Let me know if anything is available.

Wetvet

Hello

There is plenty of diving in lake Winnipeg. The Winnipeg underwater council arrange ice dives during the winter months and have a very large club and pool facility. I suggest you call Eds Starks Dive locker once there, Ed will give you all the information you will need on diving in Lake Winnipeg.

Eds Dive Locker 204-895-2903

Safe Diving

Amobeus

Two jobs ago I travelled extensively visiting the various Canadian locations of the company I work for. Though born and raised in Toronto, I hadn't fully appreciated the fullness of a Canadian winter until I visited Winnipeg in February.

After getting the rental car that came complete with the extension cord to plug in the block heater and signing the waiver that I was responsible for all charges if I failed to plug in overnight I arrived at the hotel. At the bar I got into a conversation with a local who told me that it was so cold outside that you could spit and it would freeze before it hit the ground.

I made quite the sight standing outside watching little pieces of ice bounce on the front drive of the hotel that less than a second before had been steaming liquid coming from between my lips.

I scheduled all future trips to Winnipeg between May and September before I learned of the sparrow sized sparrows that inhabit Manitoba. But that's another story. :D

Marc

I made quite the sight standing outside watching little pieces of ice bounce on the front drive of the hotel that less than a second before had been steaming liquid coming from between my lips.

A NICE AND VERY FUNNY STORY...BUT YOU ARE SO FULL OF HORSE SH*T IT'S UNREAL !!!
I HAVE BEEN IN WINNIPEG FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH OVEREXAGGERATED CRAP THAT YOU MAKE PUPLIC HERE....I AM WONDERING, MAYBE ALL YOUR REPLIES AND ANSWERS SHOULD BE HANDLED WITH CAUTION !!!!

HAPPY ICE-DIVING

ssdiver2003:

I HAVE BEEN IN WINNIPEG FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH OVEREXAGGERATED CRAP THAT YOU MAKE PUPLIC HERE....I AM WONDERING, MAYBE ALL YOUR REPLIES AND ANSWERS SHOULD BE HANDLED WITH CAUTION !!!!

HAPPY ICE-DIVING
didn't you know that we all live in iglos and use snow shoes all year around? :wink: :eyebrow:

ssdiver2003:

HAPPY ICE-DIVING

Wow. Best take a chill pill there junior before you hurt something. :D

It's actually a well known fact, and I've also experienced it when I lived in Ottawa and Minneapolis. And I've seen a rather disgusting variation of it in Quebec City during Carnaval involving way too much caribou and debauchery - but that's a story for another time.

You'd be amazed at what freezes at -30°C (-22F). I'm reminded of the time I was in the Yukon and it got so cold we had to chip the dogs off the trees each time they raised a leg... :wink:

As you get older and see a little more of the world and mature with the experience you gain, you will learn to never say never.

Marc

aquaoren:
didn't you know that we all live in iglos and use snow shoes all year around? :wink: :eyebrow:

LOL. That's only in Guelph.

FYI - I did attend UOG's School of Hotel and Food Admin for awhile before transferring out.

Marc (the Canadian ex-pat)

good that you had only to chip the dogs of the trees and not each other-it may have hurt :wink: :eyebrow:
oren

Back
Top Bottom