Wireless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if there's anything non-DIR about using a wireless transmitter with computer in gauge mode *assuming* a typical brass spg is also used. Seems like a convenient way to add redundancy. Not what I'm doing (can't afford a wireless setup), but wondered what others thought, especially since an spg is one of the few things not to meet the hog notion of take two of what you need (and I understand why one doesn't "need" an spg, but it sure is convenient!).

No need for redundancy on the SPG. If it fails during the dive, the dive is immediately over. Adding another SPG of any kind adds failure points, increasing, not decreasing the possibility of failure and a called dive.

In my experience, the SPG is the most likely failure point. Doubling the failure points isn't a good idea.

Roak

I don't understand your point roakey. If one spg fails, how is this relevant for the other? That is, how does it "double" failure points? It isn't like this means it's twice as likely as you'll have a problem. Also, why wouldn't you just continue the dive if the other SPG was working (esp the brass one)?

I don't think anyone cares if you have an additional wireless SPG (as long as you are also comfortable with the regular one). And if I had one as an extra and it failed then I'd still continue the dive. If the brass SPG failed, but the wireless worked, then I continue the dive too. In general though the idea is not to bring it unless you need it.

Rainer:
Floater, if you'd be willing to continue with just the wireless, then would *just* using a wireless spg be acceptable to you?

Maybe, but it wouldn't be DIR. From what I hear they are not sufficiently reliable right now. Continuing a dive with one after a failure of the primary is different IMO since it's very unlikely that the wireless one would also break on that very same dive. Of course if the initial failure involved a HP leak or something like that then the dive is over anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom