Wisdom of knife on inflator hose...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course a Navy Seal would do that, the knife probably still had a body stuck to it!:eyebrow:

For me, kind of old school, I do have a large knife strapped to the inside of my leg.

I've got one of those huge knives- 7 inch blade, weights a ton. I got it when I was a kid. Maybe I should take it along on the next dive. I could drop some weight off my belt that way. :D

I've carried a small knife on my inflator hose for years, primarily because my training agency requires me to have a knife when I'm teaching, and I want it visible, but non-obstructive.

Hoses are pretty tough, and I think it would take a concerted effort to do any meaningful damage to them.

As for my neck, I think I'm coordinated enough to return the knife safely to its sheath. But I don't know for certain because I've never used it. Correction, it did fall out once when I hadn't seated it properly after cleaning. Luckily it was in the pool so it wasn't lost - and it was easy to re-sheath.

I have used my shears on several occasions, though. They're in a pocket.

I've got one of those huge knives- 7 inch blade, weights a ton. I got it when I was a kid. Maybe I should take it along on the next dive. I could drop some weight off my belt that way. :D

No need for ankle weights!:rofl3:

Of course a Navy Seal would do that, the knife probably still had a body stuck to it!:eyebrow:

:rofl3:Thanks Dave.:rofl3: You owe me a keyboard. :rofl3:

I keep a small pointed knife on my inflator.
I've had it out a few times and used care to return it to it's sheath.
As with any knife always show it proper respect and like any other tool it will do it's job safely.
Having it on the inflator hose seems to add a risk factor but in fact it depends on the individual using it.

I had the Ramora on my inflator too, but didn't like it there cause of chance it might snag so I moved it to the sternum strap, where it's reachable with both hands. Have that and a second small knife on the cummerbund

I wonder what ever happened to my US Divers 12" leg tangler. @1 1/2" round hammer head, saw tooth back side, prybar, leg knife.

1970 Y certification dive:
oldscuba0001-1.JPG

.....well, back in the day, I initially mounted a small, blunt tip knife to my BCD hose....dove that way for a while, no problems, but then decided I didn't want a knife anywhere my BCD hose, for all the obvious reasons. I did have the advantage of providing me SOMEPLACE to stow my knife on my Zeagle Ranger, as that BC didn't really have a 'place' for me to put the knife on the webbing...and I don't want my knife strapped to my leg....so the BCD hose location became an acceptable 'default' location...for a while anyway.
...these days though, I diving a small blunt tip knife mounted on my waist belt webbing just to the right side of my belt-buckle.....and a small orange-colored line-cutter mounted on my left-side waist belt webbing...and no more BCD hose mounted knife at all.
(with the knife waist-mounted, it can easily be reached by either hand......also, while putting the knife back in the sheath, with it waist-mounted, I can look down and see what I'm doing....while it was mounted on the BCD hose, it has to be put back by 'feel' only. Also, my BCD hose area is already pretty crowded...as I've got a light clipped off there, as well as an AI computer transmitter.....so it's good to get the knife out of that area and move it to the belt area anyway.

I had the Ramora on my inflator too, but didn't like it there cause of chance it might snag so I moved it to the sternum strap, where it's reachable with both hands. Have that and a second small knife on the cummerbund

I wonder what ever happened to my US Divers 12" leg tangler. @1 1/2" round hammer head, saw tooth back side, prybar, leg knife.

1970 Y certification dive:
oldscuba0001-1.JPG

I have it -- :voodoo:

Appreciate all the replies.

While I'm not a complete klutz, and generally I think using the inflator hose is safe, I think that there is reason to be extra careful and not be distracted when manipulating the knife in and out of the sheath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom