Within Intro standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the issue is a little confused. In Mexico there are "routes" you can take off the main line to get to jump lines. There are also caves that don't have decorated ceilings so there is no issue with going off the line. In certain caves in Mexico I stay near the line because of the ceilings. But there are many more that don't require that. And you know me...if I see a hole that looks like I can fit into... :D

So, Peter... How is it that Lynne gets to go back to Mexico so soon but you don't?

Ostensibly, I'm going real estate shopping. Peter wanted to stay home, because he's ramping up to his first horse show of the season.

I don't understand, Matt, why you think that staying on "a" line makes Cave 2 certification useless? In Mexico, the caves are spiderwebs of passageways, and right now, I can only really see one of them; once I'm trained to do jumps, a whole WORLD of cave opens up to me. Even in Florida, being able to dive thirds means I'd get back to some of the side passages in Ginnie, for example. Cave 2 also gives you some deco and stage use, so it expands your access enormously. I don't need to swim the edges of the rooms I pass through to see new cave.

Lynn stated that even in Cave 2 they are encouraged to stay on the line.
This may be a case of semantics. At full cave (Cave 2) we are "encouraged" to stay on or near the line -- but that just means the line you are on. An Intro/Cave 1 is limited (more or less) to the mainline -- no jumps. But beyond that the jumps are the thing -- so do the jump but stay in the "jump corridor" and then stay on or near to the "jumped" line.

The main thing is just don't wander all around the room you are in -- stay on or close to the line you are following.

Now if you are doing exploration.....but THAT is way beyond anything this Line Following Cave Tourist will be doing.

PS -- Yes, she is "shopping" for a condo and I'm getting ready for a show the day after she returns -- plus I'm feeling a significant need for another camera.

Last edited:
I don't understand, Matt, why you think that staying on "a" line makes Cave 2 certification useless? In Mexico, the caves are spiderwebs of passageways, and right now, I can only really see one of them; once I'm trained to do jumps, a whole WORLD of cave opens up to me. Even in Florida, being able to dive thirds means I'd get back to some of the side passages in Ginnie, for example. Cave 2 also gives you some deco and stage use, so it expands your access enormously. I don't need to swim the edges of the rooms I pass through to see new cave.

I never said useless. I just posted a question as I don't know the significance gained by a more advanced certification in Mexican caves. Obviously, you'll gain alot in FL, but thats not the basis of my question. I also forgot that GUE Cave 1 limits to 1/6ths, I've got buddies who've taken NAUI Cave 1 which allows for diving 1/3rds as well as a couple navigational decisions, I'm getting some of the standards mixed up. Deco and stage use seems to be negligable when I read about touring the Mexican caves in typical shallow fashion with little or no deco, usually turned on penetration rather than deco obligation or turn pressures.

So you get extended range of 1/3rds, and the use of jumps, both large differences in GUE and NAUI Cave 1 courses. OK, I can see these being usefull. The additional benefits being even more beneficial in deeper caves though.

Nothing to do with standards, just geographic and geological differences, I'd feel a bit slighted to run down a set path in a room or passage too big to see end-to-end from the mainline. I do understand the reasoning behind it, it'd bug me though.

So me thinking out loud... If I simply wanted to follow existing lines and only dove Mexican caves, NAUI Cave 1 would pretty much fit the bill perfectly since it allows a couple navigational decisions and 1/3rd gas usage and deco will likely not run a dive short.

So me thinking out loud... If I simply wanted to follow existing lines and only dove Mexican caves, NAUI Cave 1 would pretty much fit the bill perfectly since it allows a couple navigational decisions and 1/3rd gas usage and deco will likely not run a dive short.

Not exactly. You can come across a lot of areas that could require navigational decisions in the Mexico caves. Come scooter JB with me to Crinoid Glory and you'll get more of a sense of what you'll find in Mexico.

NAUI Cave 1 allows a few navigation decisions :)

While I haven't been too incredibly far back in JB, I've heard whats back there. :wink:

OH SURE , now Mat gets to go skooterin too ... (sniff)

Doesn't ANYONE swim anymore? Gads

Don't you DARE step on my ol' blue fins :D

I've always been a door-knobie kind of person , so I'll stick with swimming for a while.

OK , I'm way past tired , time for bed.

Jean

P.S. And I better NOT dream about dem scootie things. Plan is to go into Friedman's in the morning and ride out da flow. (awwww) :D

Jean0, while I may take Rob up on a scooterin trip one day :) I'll be swimmin for a damned long time, believe me! :D

Jeano, you can come buzz around with me, too. You're shorty will be flappin' in the wind...errr...flow... :D

Mat, once you try the scooter, you'll never want to swim high flow again! And, while they cost of an SS may be a little prohibitive at this time (it was for us), a Mako doesn't cost that much used... :wink:

Well , er , uh ...
You know , my driving skills. (EEK)
I've tried an Aquazep once in open water and I ended up silting up the run at Devils :rofl3:
I thought I was hot stuff till I tried to turn the durn thing.

Oh boy , talk about humble pie for dis Beano.

Jean

P.S. But someday , I'll take you BOTH up on that offer , believe me. :D
Now as for dat shortie a flappin in da wind , well , now THAT would be great !!!
Ventilation :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom