WK fire extinguisher tanks (hoping to convert)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1978davidw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
does anyone know of a place to purchase bushings for WK fire extinguisher tanks to convert them over to scuba? Im looking for the 1" NPT to 3/4 NPS or if absolutely necessary 1/2 NPT. i picked up 3 of these tanks for free and wanted to add them to my vintage diving equipment as these were commonly used in scuba.

HP bushing can be gotten from McMaster-Carr. You won't find any 1" taper pipe thread to 3/4" straight pipe thread, 1" to 1/2" taper pipe is your best bet.

Follow the Captian's advise

Bump bottom WK fire extinguisher tanks can be very (very) negative

Make certain the bushings are HP and not LP brass plumbing bushings.

SDM

You should be able to find those fittings in Ti if you want to save weight. A company like swagelok might carry them or if you have the money do custom fittings.

If you are interested in a couple of bushings with a pair of tanks, bands, and a harness attached let me know. They're the one's in the second pic in the following thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintage-equipment-diving/424793-freebie-mystery-tanks.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The second set of tanks in your picture are O2 bottles used in WW11 era air craft--they are very positive.

Fire extinguisher bottles are generally bump bottom and very negative- Almost too negative for comfortable diving..

Cut off the bottoms and they make great bells...our home and yard is full of SCUBA bells...

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom