Woman alone--Sharm or MarsaAlam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi:
What a load of crap! The Middle East is a perfectly safe place.

And I'm sure you're a reasonable intelligent person who is just somehow gotten confused?

WW

You can say what you want but it's safe. Hurghada, Sharm, Marsa Alam etc. are probably more safe than average US city. That's the fact and the numbers (violent crimes and similar stuff) says the same.

WreckWriter:
And I'm sure you're a reasonable intelligent person who is just somehow gotten confused?

WW

The Middle East is a big place, taking in quite a few countries, most of which are very safe for western travellers.

But, don't worry about it, when people in Europe say America is a dangerous place to visit, they are normally forgetting Canada, Mexico, Brazil, argentiina etc :)

Conor:
The Middle East is a big place, taking in quite a few countries, most of which are very safe for western travellers.

But, don't worry about it, when people in Europe say America is a dangerous place to visit, they are normally forgetting Canada, Mexico, Brazil, argentiina etc :)

Agree with you. West Coast, Gaza etc. can hardly be compared to Egypt.

MonkSeal:
You can say what you want but it's safe. Hurghada, Sharm, Marsa Alam etc. are probably more safe than average US city. That's the fact and the numbers (violent crimes and similar stuff) says the same.

That's very likely true. Being an American I tend to think like one and I do not consider any portion of the Middle East to be safe for us.

Got nothing to add, really. I've been to Egypt 5 times in the past 2.5 years (not only for diving), including last year during the war in Iraq, and I can't think of many places I've felt safer than there, certainly not in any US or European city. I have also met quite a few Americans in Egypt (some having travelled in other ME countries as well) who were not put off by their media's picture of that area, who felt exactly the same and were taken by the people's friendliness and hospitablity.
It may be worth trying not to "think like an American" sometimes...

I've actually been to Egypt but its been many years ago. I found it to be a rather menacing sort of place but I was only about 15 at the time.

WreckWriter:
I would think in these times that no place in the Middle East is safe for a solitary Western traveller, male or female. Perhaps consider the Bahamas or Mexico?
The tourist resorts in Egypt are far more safe for travellers of both sexes than Mexico. Don't know about Bahamas (haven't been there), but they'd have to be exceptionally safe to beat Egypt. I've walked through poor Egyptian ghettoes at night, wouldn't even consider that daytime in Mexico. No slight on the Mexicans, but the tourist crime rate figures speak for themselves. Western women in Egypt will be hassled, but then that will happen to single females in Greece and Italy as well. The risk of rape or serious sexual assault in Egypt is exceedingly small! Much smaller than Mexico, Greece or Italy. Or the US. Of course, one should be savvy and careful in any country in the world, whether it be Canada or South Africa.
WreckWriter:
Being an American I tend to think like one and I do not consider any portion of the Middle East to be safe for us.
You'd be surprised. Although you probably wouldn't be the most popular guy in the city if you stood up and sang the Star Spangled Banner in e.g. a Tehran café, you'd probably not incur very much risk for life or limb. In Kuwait you might be cheered. Doing the same thing in Iraq, Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia would be a very silly way to decrease your life expectancy, but then that would probably be true if you did it in Colombia or other New World places as well ... In fact, I know parts of London or Paris where you shouldn't pull that stunt right now ...

In Egypt, you'd be merely frowned upon (assuming you avoid 'political' parts of Cairo or cities like Assyat which you're not allowed to travel to anyway), and they'd happily take your money and cheerfully make fun of you later.

I've dived and travelled with U.S. citizens in Egypt many times, and they've never been treated any differently from other tourists and have been perfectly safe. Even spoke to a US Marine (with a great big bloody T-shirt advertising the fact) in an Egyptian resort once. He walked around in it every day. No worries. His greenbacks were as good as mine. Egypt's almost certainly safer than any part of Florida you could care to mention ...

The last tourist was killed by terrorists in Egypt in 1999. No problems since. How many parts of the world can you say this about?

Gosh, sorry about the length. Just a bit agitated about the misconceptions out there in the land of the always-not-so-very brave.

The U.S. Government ( State Department ) has an automated service at 888-407-4747 This will give you the latest on world conditions. You can also check travel.state.gov
Obviously, it is possible to encounter unexpected danger anywhere. It certainly isn't being "not-so-brave" to do your homework on the destination you are planning on traveling to.

WreckWriter:
That's very likely true. Being an American I tend to think like one and I do not consider any portion of the Middle East to be safe for us.

I have been visiting the middle east for the past four years and have never felt safer. The people are friendly and mem my husband and my young daughter are treated with respect wherever we go from Luxor, Cairo, Hurghada, Taba, Sharm, Aqaba and Petra. In Wadi Rum the chief of Police insisted we join him for a tea in the resthouse so that he could practice his English. From shopkeepers to waiters, Palestinian engineers to beduin guides we are treated with respect (and we are English!!!). The only sour note was when we had a day trip to Eilat and the diving instructor sneered at our choice of hotel because it was in Egypt. We were the only Brits in Aqaba 3 weeks before the gulf war and still were welcomed by all the locals.

We are going to Oman and Dubai this year and have no worries. We treat people with respect, don't act like we own the world, and dress and behave appropriately.

Finally, for those scardy cats who are scared of terrorism, my old man spent two years in Northern Ireland with no incidents and when he came to work in London - three Irish (sponsored by good old USA) bombs were planted in London.

There is a saying in Yorkshire which keeps us visiting these "dangerous" places - you don't sh*t on your own doorstep!

Have a nice day!

Back
Top Bottom