Women have known it all along, science is finally catching on.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/feature...5oct18,0,6696446.story?coll=sfla-news-science

Sick of your husband? Japan reports syndrome

Anthony Faiola
the Washington Post
Posted October 18 2005
TOKYO -- Sakura Terakawa, 63, describes her four decades of married life in a small urban apartment as a gradual transition from wife to mother to servant.

Communication with her husband started with love letters and wooing words under pink cherry blossoms. It devolved over time, she said, into mostly demands for his evening meals and nitpicking over the quality of her housework.

So when he came home one afternoon three years ago, beaming, and announced he was ready to retire, Terakawa despaired.

" 'This is it,' I remember thinking. 'I am going to have to divorce him now,' " Terakawa recalled. "It was bad enough that I had to wait on him when he came home from work. But having him around the house all the time was more than I could possibly bear."

Concerned about her financial future if she divorced, Terakawa stuck with their marriage -- only to become one of an extraordinary number of Japanese women stricken with a disorder that experts here have recently begun diagnosing as retired husband syndrome, or RHS.

Terakawa developed stomach ulcers, her speech began to slur and rashes broke out around her eyes. When doctors discovered polyps in her throat but could find no medical reason for her sudden burst of ailments, she was referred to a psychiatrist, who diagnosed stress-related RHS.

Terakawa began receiving therapy from Nobuo Kurokawa, a physician who is one of Japan's leading RHS experts. Kurokawa coined the term in a presentation to the Japanese Society of Psychosomatic Medicine in 1991.

Kurokawa estimates that as many as 60 percent of the wives of retired men may suffer from RHS.

"Come to therapy," he said. "Then spend as much time as possible away from your husband."

Hmmm. My hubbie is not retired yet and I'm pretty sure I have that! There is no hope for me :wink:

Y'all just get sick . . . we die earlier !!!!!!
So what's the problem . . . :D

the K

Well...it's true that men die earlier, but it's important to understand that for married men we die earlier because we want to.

Perhaps for most (but certainly not all) people long-term monogamy is NOT the answer. Serial monogamy, which is becoming almost the norm, seems to be one answer. Not marrying at all may be the final solution.

There's the retired wife refrain;

I married him for better or worse, but not for lunch.

Y'all don't get it! There's a market! I'm going to Japan and get certified as an RHS therapist!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom