• LP Steel

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • HP Steel

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No preference, whatever's available!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering what kind of tanks women are using, and for what reasons. Do you like Steel, because it lets you wear less weight on your belt? Aluminum, because steel is too heavy? Steel because it holds more air for the outside volume? Aluminum because it's cheaper? Short Al tank, Short Steel tank? Standard or Long Steel or Al tank?

Tell me about your tank preferences! What are the fit/weight/trim/other differences you consider? (I need to buy one soon!)

otter-cat:)

I dive in the tropics, in a thin wetsuit, so it has to be aluminium. With steel I'd have little or no ditchable weight.

I rent, so the size varies. A full-length tank will bump against my thighs occasionally, but I don't find it a big deal.

Where do you dive? Wetsuit or drysuit? Boat or shore?

Zept

Well, I voted for Aluminum mainly because I haven't used a steel tank..yet. In Guam, weight is not a big concern (I wear 6lbs) so I might be in trouble with a steel tank. But, I've heard great things about LP 108 tanks...anyone ever use them?

I normally wear a C60cuft tank for beach dives, and a NB80 for boat dives.

Since I can't even lift my boyfriend's HP120, I don't think I'll be using that one on beach dives :wink:

I prefer steel tanks, specifically HP 65 and 80, because they are negative when empty and small enough to be really comfortable. The HP tanks hold 3500psi and I don't always get a full fill after cooldown but that's not too much of an issue with me.

HP tanks also have a DIN valve so my 1st stage is also DIN. Although I have a seperate set of regs for use with yoke valves, I do have a valve converter I keep in my tool box in case I need to use my DIN on a yoke.

Diverlink has a great page on
Tank Specifications. You can find just about every tank made. For comparison, here's the stats on my tanks compared to an alum. 80

HP 65
Height - 16.75 "
Weight - 26#
Bouyancy - -1.5# empty/-6.4 full

HP 80
Height - 19.75"
Weight - 28#
Bouyancy- -3.3# empty/-9.3 full

As you can see, both steel tanks are actually lighter than the aluminum 80 tank. When diving locally or diving salt water where I can take my own tanks, I use the steels. On diving vacations I have to use rental alum. 80s and I hate it!

Alum 80
Height - 26"
Weight - 33#
Bouyancy - +4# empty/-1.7 full

ALL my personal tanks (3 in total) are HP steel with DIN: 2 are dedicated EANx, one is not.

TONS of air, need less weight on your belt (always a plus, IMHO) and nice compact size.

I carry adaptors in my dive kit for fills or to use regular tanks. Or, as in the case of my upcoming trip, I had my LDS switch the 1st stage back to yoke bacaue I know where I am going will not have DIN tanks. It will be as simple to have them switch it back.

Yes, it's easy enough to do the switch myself, but I'm one of their FAVOURITE Instructors, so.... :wink:

The SIZE is key for me. As an Instructor I find that they are the most comfortable to use, especially when you are sitting on your knees with students; being only 5'4", if I do that with a full AL 80, it pushes me forward because it is longer than my torso. NOT a very comfortable (or useful) position! :tonguewag:

~SubMariner~

I own a pair of steel LP 80's. I like them because they are shorter than an AL80 and they allow me to have less weight on my belt. I am more likely to get a full 80cf (or more) in my tank on every fill than I would be with an HP tank.

I am thinking of buying a pair of the Sherwood NB-AL80's, they are supposed to be shorter than the standard AL80.

-kate

Dee,

You should point out that you are talking about Pressed Steel (PSI) HP tanks. Asahi tanks are more common (sold as Genesis and ?) and are heavier. Faber HP tanks are also available and are even heavier than the Asahi.

Ralph

Originally posted by rcohn
Dee,

You should point out that you are talking about Pressed Steel (PSI) HP tanks. Asahi tanks are more common (sold as Genesis and ?) and are heavier. Faber HP tanks are also available and are even heavier than the Asahi.

Ralph

Good Point...I thought I mentioned that my tanks were Pressed Steel. PST tanks are common here but I prefer their properties over those of others.

my vote's for steel HP 100's

Right now although, I dive AL80's. I'm still on my first genertion of dive gear (read: used, lite weight, not meant to support real diving). This weekend I tried the 100's. I like them because I can get weight off my belt (soft lead pouches), which due to my small waist is a pain. They hold more gas. They hold more gas. The dropped weight, and eh they hold more gas.

When I get my own tanks they'll be steel HP 100's. But first I need steel BP, wings, DIN adpator, ....

After trying several tanks & weight arrangements, the short, light AL-60 lets me sit on rocks & get up if I need to. Yes, it does little to help my buoyancy, but an improved wetsuit has knocked 8lb off my belt, so I've got it better than I ever have had it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom