• LP Steel

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • HP Steel

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No preference, whatever's available!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your input so far. I guess I'm leaning toward the low pressure steel tanks, as I could benefit from their smaller size and reduced weight on my belt. The HP steel tanks sound good, too, but I already have a regulator that is not set up for DIN.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks again for the advice!

otter-cat:)

Ottercat,

NO regs in North America come standard as DIN; you have to have them changed over.

During the past 10 years I have all my regs changed from standard yoke to DIN... it's really not a big deal. Once the DIN part is ordered you can change it yourself or you can have it done at your LDS (usually no charge if you order the DIN through them).

IOW, the fact that your reg is currently set up for standard yoke should really not be a factor in whether or not you decide to go with HP or LP steel.

~SubMariner~

Thanks for your input, SubMariner. I actually found out about the adaptors myself just yesterday. Now I'm not sure whether to go with the low pressure or the high pressure steel tank. Since I've basically ruled out aluminum for the moment, can anyone tell me again the pros and cons of hp vs. lp steel tanks?

I guess the DIN adaptor (to make my reg usable on a high pressure tank) will be about $70 or less, which, considering the cost of the reg and tanks, is not that much, so cost shouldn't be much of a factor. High pressure tanks would give me more air in the same external volume as a low-pressure steel tank, right? What else should I be thinking about, here?

Thanks all for your help!
otter-cat:)

I dive with aluminmum 63's. Finally had to buy my own 'cause it was getting too hard to rent 63's and I don't like 80's. I tried a friends steel 80 - liked the fact that it was a little shorter than my 63 and that I could drop some wieght. But I found it too heavy even underwater, it really hurt the small of my back all through the dive.

Back
Top Bottom