Won a camcorder on eBay...plus, question on mics in housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kudos on the EXTERNAL MONITOR project. if it makes you feel better i was quoted by GATES

"This kind has a wet pluggable cord that will simply unplug from the housing. You would send the housing to us (making sure to include the mount plate) and we would install a video out ($210.00). You would also have to get the appropriate bracket ($85.00). Also, probably best would be to send the monitor and we'd test it all together."

that $295 (plus shipping!!!) would be nice in the back pocket!

The Light and Motion housings have an underwater mic on the front below the lens that has a wire and plug inside the housing to put into the camcorders mic port. The internal mics on most camcorders will pick up too much motor sound in the confined space of the housing to be useful.

Underwater, the external mic picks up most underwater sounds: regualtor breathing, bubbles, boat propellors, signalling devices, reef crackling noises, dive computer beeps and, occasionally, me mumbling through my regulator. Depending on the topic of the video, I will sometimes leave the sounds in, somewhat lower than the music track.

Another advantage of having the external mic on the housing is for video cut topside. I will often add some foootage of the boat, divers, islands, etc. I don't want to have to open the housing to do this topside footage. With an external mic you get good quality accompanying audio (divers chatting, engine sounds, waves, wakes, etc). With the internal mics in a housing the external sounds will be too muffled.

Regards
Peter

Back
Top Bottom