Won a DUI Delta BC - Keep or Sell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks DIR tec..I've always been a fan of simplicity especially where my diving is concerned. The less I have to think about my gear, the happier I am on my dive because it means that everything is working as it should. Took me (as others, I'm sure) awhile to figure this out. After I dove the BP setup I was hooked. I like a system that almost makes me feel as if I wasn't wearing it: TRANSPARENT. Lets me enjoy my dive that much more and is alot safer. I've only been involved in one ooa emergency and I was thankful that I had the long hose for the ooa diver (so was the ooa diver by the way). But it justifies, in my mind anyway, the validity and practicality of that system. It works, plain and simple. You're right I think, when you say things are going back (sometimes we must go back to advance) as more and more divers are recognizing the advantage of the Hogarthian/DIR gear configuration. DSAO ZG

You got it! I also used to have all the wrong stuff (thank god for ebay). Ooh the old pictures.. It is like my own hall of shame, but everyone was there at one point, and always more to learn and areas to improve.

I like your attitude, Honest, direct but not condoning. There should be some more divers like you around.

Take care.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
In fact they have made it a point to say that if they catch you acting like that they will pull your c-card.

You are not the first person I have heard this from....but I think it is a load of crap....why certify them in the first place then? You can always refuse to train someone....I think yanking cards goes against GUE's educational philosiphy

It is funny how most things are getting back to the way they used to be. Back when it worked and worked well.

Well, I don't know how things used to be, but I see what they have evolved into, and it is getting worse, not better.....yes, there are people out there realizing that another set-up or diving style might be more efficent or whatever....but they are far outnumbered by the masses that the churn and cert dive shops are producing.

You're right in that the focus seems to be on turning out as many quickly and somewhat poorly trained divers as possible in pursuit of $$$. Which is why agencies other than PADI NAUI etc. came into being. It may be said that they are ALL motivated by $$$, however the great majority of new divers come from the other agencies because they are better known, cost less and have generally lower standards than say...GUE, BSAC, IANTD etc. I still believe that it's the INSTRUCTOR, not the AGENCY that has the most influence on the quality of training. I have met some great instructors from NAUI< PADI<TDI<GUE < NACD<NSS etc. ZG :)

Very true. I think it is good that GUE will have the right to pull your card if you walk around pounding your chest, belitteling other people and proclaiming to be the DIR god. That is exactly why there are some people who get put off by DIR - they meet the typical guy (who of course is a Navy SEAL) who is actually the one who invented DIR and the rest of the world is scum.

In fact as a GUE diver, you should always promote patience, respect, education and share what you know not put someone down becuause they do it differently.

As an example, in my fundamentals class there were people who had no desire for tech diving, one with a console one with a diverite wing etc. The instuctor and other GUE divers never put them down, told them they would die nor belittled them in any way.

They were positive, reinforcing and let the people come to terms with things in their own way.

Hey we are al divers, have a common love and passion, it should be the best support group in the world.

In fact they have made it a point to say that if they catch you acting like that they will pull your c-card.

Is GUE a real, recognized certifying agency now? I didn't think they issued OW cards. When did that happen?

If they aren't, then how can they pull your c-card?

Marc

They are an actual certified agency yes, but thei OWD course does not come out until later this year.

However a c card is not only issued at open water level, but at all levels to show proof of certification for that level.

For example if you have a GUE Tech1 card and are caught diving below your depth qualifications they will pull your tech card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom