Wondering what thi is and what it's worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
*this is

120111_0003.jpg120111_0004.jpg

I know that it's a canister light, and that it's a Dive Rite, But as far as what kind, how old, and all that i do not know. I got it from a fellow diver whos dad had it and wanted to get rid of it. Anybody know what it is and what kind of battery to use with it?

Thanks!!

It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Throw it up on ebay and you will find out.

Probably used a lead acid battery. I assume it is a halogen light bulb? It is fairly old, and probably needs a rebuild to maintain water tightness.

This is simply a halogen broom handle type light. It uses a MR16 12V bulb. You could use a 10W, 20W or probably up to 50W bulb. I would measure the battery compartment (space between the ribs) and compare it with 12V SLA (sealed lead acid) battery specifications on line. You'll need a pig-tail from some automotive supply place like NAPA or AutoZone. It will look exactly like the one on the end of the wire in the picture in the battery compartment. You will need to get some lugs on the end of the pigtail to match the battery terminals.

I would get the highest amp-hour rating battery you can afford that will fit in the compartment (probably 12a-h.) You'll also need a charger. An automotive charger will work fine.

Charge it only in a well ventilated area…like outside with the top off of the container.

I agree that it will need to have new o-rings in the wire sealing glands and the lens.

Do a test submerge before going on an actual dive.

The higher wattage you select for your bulb will give you more light, but will also shorten the length of the burn before recharge.

If you don't want to do any of that, PM me, I will give you my address and I will take it off your hands. I will do all the work for you and you can bid on it on eBay.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom