Woo Hoo.. finally Poseidon XStream Revu!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....love those Odins but the Extreme has me puzzled......

I've got 3 Odin reg sets, which I really enjoy, but the Extreme series has me worried, as I see a lot of problems/limitations in the design:

1) the purge button is somewhay hidden from view, making it harder for an OOA buddy to intuitively locate it (the Triton series had the same problem to an even greater extent)

2) they've REDUCED the number of HP and LP ports...at a time when all the other manufacturers are increasing the number of LP and HP ports......and as someone who likes to used a dive computer and an analog guage backup simultaneously, not having at least 2 HP ports is unacceptable.

3) the DiverNet test points out (and Poseidon confirms) that the new 2nd stage is designed/intended to free-flow whenever it's not in the diver's mouth.......so there's no such thing as an Extreme 'octo'....and you should never turn on your tank until the 2nd stage is in your mouth...otherwise you'll lose all your air.

All I can say is 'WHEW!' for a minute there it appeared Poseidon has obsoleted my Odins.......now I feel even better about my Odins than ever......knowing that in the real-world of diving the Odin really still is the best Poseidon reg ever made!

Karl

scubafanatic once bubbled...
....love those Odins but the Extreme has me puzzled......

I've got 3 Odin reg sets, which I really enjoy, but the Extreme series has me worried, as I see a lot of problems/limitations in the design:

1) the purge button is somewhay hidden from view, making it harder for an OOA buddy to intuitively locate it (the Triton series had the same problem to an even greater extent)

2) they've REDUCED the number of HP and LP ports...at a time when all the other manufacturers are increasing the number of LP and HP ports......and as someone who likes to used a dive computer and an analog guage backup simultaneously, not having at least 2 HP ports is unacceptable.

3) the DiverNet test points out (and Poseidon confirms) that the new 2nd stage is designed/intended to free-flow whenever it's not in the diver's mouth.......so there's no such thing as an Extreme 'octo'....and you should never turn on your tank until the 2nd stage is in your mouth...otherwise you'll lose all your air.

All I can say is 'WHEW!' for a minute there it appeared Poseidon has obsoleted my Odins.......now I feel even better about my Odins than ever......knowing that in the real-world of diving the Odin really still is the best Poseidon reg ever made!

Karl

Something tells me the Xstream wasn't quite made for you, doing single tank dives with a dive computer. From the marketing, it's designed to be the absolutely most reliable regulator created. Poseidon apparently didn't feel it necessary to add ports deep/doubles divers won't use at the risk of introducing failure points.

a poseidon with benign breathing characteristics retaining bullet-proof reliability and predictability but at a price. boffo combination. sounds eerily like an apeks or g250 if we are to believe all the testimonials for these makes, eh? without, of course, poseidon's cutting edge steel ball valve design.

K (jetstream user)

If you look at the new Poseidon brochure they seem to have gone totally minimalistic to reduce the amount of failure points... tho it makes things harder for singles with drysuit - you have to either "T" the drysuit and BC inflator hose or go with a separate drysuit cylinder.

The freeflow comment in the magazine does puzzle me as I tried the Duration (green) version and yes there is a quick blast of air as you turn the cylinder on..... does wake everyone up but did not continue blasting.... the catalog also specs an octopus reg ( same but different hose length... several available.

Check out the Poseidon guages... they are tiny and are attached by a very small diameter kevlar hose... cool:thumb:

interesting post, squidguy.

back in the late 70's the first spg hose i ever saw on a cyklon was very thin, maybe .5 cm and it felt like braided steel cable with a shiny black plastic coating.

K

2nd stage IS a small odin,jetstream exactly
1st stage ball valve, no adj???
Not a good idea in my book
minimal falure points great idea
still using odin!!!!!!!

... 2nd stage is designed/intended to free-flow ...
Just had mine delivered a couple days ago, there's a brief shot of air when turning on the tank, but the manual warns ya ahead of time. (for those of us that bother reading stuff) :wink:
No freeflow afterwards. These were Durations
I expect the 1st stages to be soon copied by most other manufacturers, they're that impressive design wise.

How bout giving your impressions of the Xstream after some water time Bob3. Yeah the freeflow comment in the review was unusual... maybe the fellow did not open the valve enough.... Also his comment only for tech used could be disputed as is his comment about not able to hook up an octopus due to free flow!?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom