WOO HOO, TG7 announced!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lack of full manual is truly disappointing. I have two TG-5s that are showing the extreme wear I've put them through. Was waiting to update until the TG7 came out, assuming it would have full manual. Alas. USB-C is good at least, but not worth the MSRP of $550.

You can always bump up to a PEN EPL10 or the OMD EM10IV if you want manual controls.

Just like the latest version of the OMD 5III, the OM1 5, hardly any difference. I don't get it.

The important question for me now, should I get the new GoPro 12 or the TG-7? Which is a more capable camera for U/W use? I need a second camera that can do video well, for novices, and is a good back up still photo camera for my housed camera.

Why do you a second camera?

Im guessing you want something a little more compact and can do decent videography.

Maybe start a separate thread.

they switched to USB-C

The lack of full manual is truly disappointing. I have two TG-5s that are showing the extreme wear I've put them through. Was waiting to update until the TG7 came out, assuming it would have full manual. Alas. USB-C is good at least, but not worth the MSRP of $550.

Does switching to USB C mean faster charging?
If not, then it's a gimmick upgrade.
Do you charge directly to the camera?
It's better for your battery and canara electronics to charge with an external battery charger. Like the one supplied with the camera.

Why do you a second camera?

Im guessing you want something a little more compact and can do decent videography.

Yes, back up for main camera, more compact for when the primary purpose of the dive/trip isn't photo, conditions don't allow for big photo/video kit and camera set for video when my main camera is set for still photo.

Maybe start a separate thread.

Yeah, good idea. I'll do it as soon as I have spare time this weekend.

Just like the latest version of the OMD 5III, the OM1 5, hardly any difference. I don't get it.

The important question for me now, should I get the new GoPro 12 or the TG-7? Which is a more capable camera for U/W use? I need a second camera that can do video well, for novices, and is a good back up still photo camera for my housed camera.
It really depends on what you expect from still photos and whether you're going to use strobes or video lights. The GoPro is superior in almost every way for video, but still captures are much worse than the TG-6 (or TG-7 in the future). A lot of that difference is because with the TG-6 you can use strobes which give you much more control over lighting the scene. But if you're going to stick with video lights instead of strobes then that difference is somewhat moot. The TG-6/7 also has better external wide angle lenses available like the Backscatter M52.

You can always bump up to a PEN EPL10 or the OMD EM10IV if you want manual controls.
Sure, but those need somewhat larger housings. The beauty of the TG series is that the housings are tiny which makes it super convenient for travel, or for tech diving where you're already hauling a bunch of other gear.
The lack of a proper manual mode is a real disappointment. But I'll probably still buy one.😒

As much as I would love to pretend to be worthy of a TG anything, I will stick to my SeaLife Micro. I suck at photography on dry land and my underwater skills reflect the same. Buying better gear isn't going to make me a better photographer.

I probably should have followed that rule when buying scuba gear, if I'm being honest.

Does switching to USB C mean faster charging?
If not, then it's a gimmick upgrade.
Do you charge directly to the camera?
It's better for your battery and canara electronics to charge with an external battery charger. Like the one supplied with the camera.
I think you'll find the TG6 and the TG7 don't come with supplied external battery charger. So, you could go 3rd party, but in this case the battery is designed to be charged inside the camera. Not having to remember to bring an extra USB-A<>Micro USB cable is a benefit in my mind. Being able to charge with the same charger and cable as my phone, tablet, and laptop is a big plus. If it charges faster, all the better. Have to wait and see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom