Working with Delrin and other plastics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Green,

Thanks for the info.

Your quite right about many plastics, if you burn them, or heat them over ~450 degree F.

It's pretty hard to set fire to delrin as a result of machining it, possible maybe, but I've never come close to ignition. (I have set fire to a few things when machining, titanium is a good example) but never any plastic.

Injection molding can see barrel temps in the 450 f range, but no combustion (not yet anyway :D)

I have had acetal hot enough on a lathe, to produce eye watering fumes, but this was production machining at high spindle speeds, pretty unlikely for the home hobbiest.

Big fans have always been enough.

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin,

You're welcome for the information. :)

Years ago when I was a lad I owned a chemistry set. One of the chemicals came with a warning ... DO NOT MIX WITH ACID. Its name (the chemical) was, I recall, POTASSIUM CYANIDE. I asked an uncle, who was a chemist, "so, er, um, uh, what happens if it's mixed with acid?". His reply was rather chilling: "You create cyanide gas".

Not too long ago a friend (another chemist) told me that I can create my own NaCL H2O by mixing, carefully, HCl and NaOH. For those unfamiliar with the chemicals, HCL is Hydrochloric Acid and NaOH is Sodium Hydroxide ... aka LYE.

I told my friend that if I wanted NaCL H2O I'll carry a bucket to the beach :dazzler1:

I think DuPont said it best ... Better living through chemicals :11:

Green_Manelishi:
Tobin,

You're welcome for the information. :)

Years ago when I was a lad I owned a chemistry set. One of the chemicals came with a warning ... DO NOT MIX WITH ACID. Its name (the chemical) was, I recall, POTASSIUM CYANIDE. I asked an uncle, who was a chemist, "so, er, um, uh, what happens if it's mixed with acid?". His reply was rather chilling: "You create cyanide gas".

Not too long ago a friend (another chemist) told me that I can create my own NaCL H2O by mixing, carefully, HCl and NaOH. For those unfamiliar with the chemicals, HCL is Hydrochloric Acid and NaOH is Sodium Hydroxide ... aka LYE.

I told my friend that if I wanted NaCL H2O I'll carry a bucket to the beach :dazzler1:

I think DuPont said it best ... Better living through chemicals :11:

Boy you must have had the delux chem set. :D

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Boy you must have had the delux chem set. :D

Tobin

Perhaps. More likely that in the 1960s and 70s there was not a lawyer waiting
behind every curtain. My "biology set" had cool dissecting needles, scalpels, etc.

G_M

Green_Manelishi:
Perhaps. More likely that in the 1960s and 70s there was not a lawyer waiting
behind every curtain. My "biology set" had cool dissecting needles, scalpels, etc.

G_M

Sadly your probably right about the law-suits.

Tobin

Off topic but....

What about erector sets and lincoln logs?? I'll bet some of the home brew DIYer's on this site grew up with playing with these toys. They're probably illegal now because of lead paint or chemicals in the logs.... Kids these days wouldn't like them anyway because they don't come with a game controller. Those were imagination building toys! Off my soap box, now.

WD

Actually they still make Erector sets. They have lots of new parts, motors, gears wheels etc. My kids have them and love them. They have Lincoln logs too. I think they are much better for them than video and compter games also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom