World Cup and Scuba Questions for South Africa 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a book "Dive Spots of Southern Africa" you can order it on-line and it seems to cover it all here. I have not seen it but the authors seems to know whats what and regularly publish articles in local mags - web site is The Dive Spots of Southern Africa

In terms of inland caves, here's one: Boesmansgat in the Northern Cape, this is the Kalahari semi-desert. The cave is 300 m deep, 120m long and 100 m and where records have been set and lives lost - Peter Herbst is the guy to get hold of if you want to persue that one.

The one in Zimbabwe is Chinhoyi: descriped as 'the jewel of Africa' its suitable for divers of all qualifications. Limetone caverns with constant 22 Dec C year round and depths of up to 110m, viz 40m+ Its about 120km from Harare, which is easy flying distance from Johannesburg or a days drive (900km). Zim is actually an amazing place to visit: given its a bit of a mess now, but there is some hope now the people are great, and there still are facilities though go prepared. There's lots of great game parks up there as well (well there was....)

Last edited:
that sounds pretty good, so i see most of the rivers and lakes have a little population problem with crocs, one seems too much for me lol

Greets all! I just got my copy of 'Dive Spots of SA", ordered over the net from the above web site. Its well done and comprehensive reference for diving here in Southern Africa, both inland, Atlantic and Indian Ocean diving, and got location and travel info. So I would recommended anyone contemplating a visit here to get hold of this book to help plan your diving and visit.

There are quite a few interesting places for inland diving, and all the details are in the book: Wondergat, Marico Oog, Bobbejaansgat, Bakgat, Wetsgat etc . Gat means hole is Afrikaans, many places here have/had literal place names, you will see 'fontein' (fountain) everywhere as well ie and thats all got to do with collect lack of imagination of those who named them lol. Some places have more colourful traditional African names which are starting to be reintroduced, not a momenent too soon imo.

The book rates the Chinhoyi cave dive in Zim as 'one of the most beautiful dive site in the world' btw. And you cant visit Zim and not go to Vic Falls!

I dont have any affiliation with the authors or publishers of the book , its genuinely a good reference and travel guide. And up to date.

But any other travel info, please let us know if we can help. I pretty much have travelled the length and girth of Southern Africa on all means of transport, so happy to help where possible. I have only been diving for the past two years, but know most of the places/ regions of the dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom