Worm (?) - found it on the sandy bottom in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The aluminum rod that you see in the screen capture is about 3/8 inch diameter. You can see a bit of a pointy tail at one end. The other end is buried in the sand and wants to stay there.

Any ideas?

IMG_5999-2.jpg Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 4.22.28 PM.jpg

Reactions: Jax
Looks exactly like a millipede. Don't know if they go underwater but it sure looks like one or something very, very closely related.

Looks exactly like a millipede. Don't know if they go underwater but it sure looks like one or something very, very closely related.

Thanks Karon. I think you're on to something there. I did a quick search - haven't had enough time to dig through it - but it looks promising.

We don't see a lot of millipedes here in Manhattan Beach, so that thought hadn't occurred to me. But you are right, it does look like a millipede. It might not be apparent from the photos, but there are very tiny leg like structures on the underside - just barely visible.

---------- Post added November 21st, 2015 at 10:01 AM ----------

Further to that…

It looks like this is a critter that might commonly be called 'rag worm' or 'clam worm'. Probably from the Family: Nereididae (formerly Nereidae).

There are about 500 mostly marine species and I haven't found any photos - taken in Cozumel - of this same critter.

I've done about 800 dives in Cozumel, this is the first time I've seen this. They're probably everywhere and I didn't notice - wouldn't be the first time : )

Which reminds me, before I left Cozumel a week ago, I showed the video to a DM whom I've dove with for years, he got a smile on his face and said "I've never seen that before"

: )

There are many species of aquatic worms so it's not surprising that you found one.

I don't recognize this particular worm off hand but you might want to try looking at Bobbit worms. If you got a look at the head-end it would help. In any case it has a "segmented" structure so you should include this in your search parameters.

R..

Back
Top Bottom