Worth diving (or snorkelling) in Keys after diving in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely do them both. We just got back from the Cayman's in August and the locals said the conditions have been off this summer, vis was still 80-100 ft. The patch work reefs in KL are in better shape than the Cayman's, even with the bleaching, and you have the wrecks. I would also suggest diving in Pompano, more current and deeper dives, but a lot of wrecks and great drift dives.

It would also give you time to get over the sticker shock of the Cayman's, it will not cost you a 100 bucks for nachos, a couple of burgers and a few drinks from the bar :cool2:

Mike

I guess I take a different approach...

To me just about any dive is unique to itself and I do not try and compare them between sites or between dives at the same sites.

Looking at the dive with a "half full glass" attitude I am always able to find cool stuff.

I teach off a beach in which I have done about 350+ dives this year alone. And not one dive has been disappointing as I have always found something new.

The coral is always dynamic, the biodiversity is always dynamic and the species I see are always dynamic.

I suggest don't compare and just enjoy the moment. :)

We have traveled around the world to sample the local attractions in different areas. Every area offers something unique and fascinating. But Key Largo is "home" for us, and we always look forward to going back. There is always so much life and we frequently see new things.

The thing that makes it MOST worthwhile for me is that in Key Largo we are enjoying GREAT diving, but we are still in the United States of America, our health insurance works, we don't have to worry about whether the water is drinkable, if we want something there's a store around every corner...etc, etc, etc. It's just so darned convenient, and the people that work in the dive industry in Key Largo are just awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom