Worthy Marine Charities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeNomad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a member of a student diving society and our society is looking to make an annual donation to a marine related charity. Simply put, please suggest a charity and why you think they should receive a donation.

I am just starting to look into this myself and have found the nature conservancy mentioned on this board. Please keep them coming!

I'm a member of a student diving society and our society is looking to make an annual donation to a marine related charity. Simply put, please suggest a charity and why you think they should receive a donation.

I am just starting to look into this myself and have found the nature conservancy mentioned on this board. Please keep them coming!

DeNomad,
What a great idea for your diving society!! And thank you for putting out the call on ScubaBoard. I serve on the Board of Directors for the National Marine Life Center in Buzzards Bay, Cape Cod, Massachusetts and would offer this organization for your consideration.

The National Marine Life Center is a marine animal rehabilitation hospital, marine science facility and education center dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation and release of stranded seals, sea turtles, dolphins porpoises and small whales. This video was prepared in connection with the upcoming NMLC Mermaid Ball on August 15, 2008, and will give you an idea about the work NMLC performs. YouTube - National Marine Life Center 2008 Mermaid Ball I hope that you will consider NMLC for your generous donation, and will consider a trip to Cape Cod this summer for some great diving and the 2008 Mermaid Ball.

In 2009 the National Marine Life Center will also be leading a "Sea Turtle Expedition" to the Myan Riviera - including reef dives in Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel, and cenote dives in Tulum.

Thanks again,

- Rob Brennan

Our organization, Ocean Opportunity, is a grassroots 501(c)3 not for profit org based in Providence RI. We are engaged in many projects that advocate the importance of exploration and its impacts on advancing science, technology, and societal issues relating to the ocean.

We are also the co-sponsor of this marine science forum!

I invite you to visit our site Oceans of Opportunity. In general, you might consider a smaller organization over a larger one, as your group is likely to get more up front recognition with a small org. With the big boys, while they indeed to important work, it is easy as a small donor to get lost in the shuffle and not be entirely educated on where or how far your donation is going.

Good luck!

You might check out Ships to Reefs: Ships to Reefs they are an organization that promotes creating artificial reefs from old warships.

Hello

Its a very late reply to this post, but its been a long year with little time for surfing the net.

This is our organisation, we have fully supported ourselves via funds generated by, volunteers, diving. The first year we have managed to cover all costs and put all profits back into the conservation of Cambodia's islands and the local communitys.

We are now starting to apply for grants as we can prove all money reach the right place, all saleries and admin costs are covered and all funds go directly where they are needed.

See Marine Conservation Cambodia - HOME

There are many worthy causes out there. I'm of the thinking now that it's best to give any donations to either Greenpeace or WWF as they are fighting climate change full on ( as well as many other worthy campiagns), and at the end of the day without tackling climate change every else is kind of worthless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom