Would like to dive Maine this September ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

Id like to come and dive Maine sometime next month as I have heard a lot about diving there. Any locals interested in showing me some dive sites? Also ... if someone is coming just for the purpose of diving, which area would you guys recommend to stay in?

Also ... how come there is mostly shore diving and not boat diving there?

As the previous poster said, Maine has a lot of coast, so it depends on where you are planning to dive. If you are thinking of Acadia, there are a few shore dives on Acadia and you should certainly contact Diver Ed (http://divered.com/). Ed has an amazing boat, he is a good captain, avid diver himself (he makes a living out of it!) and the trips are usually a lot of laughs with a fun bunch of divers ("hot tub" and BBQ on the boat when I was with them last year). I have been out on Ed's boat a few times and hope to be back again later this year. During the Summer, he runs the Underwatwer Theatre Monday to Saturday, but usually does dive charters on Sunday. Out of season I've been out with him on Saturday & Sunday. There is also a place (Hamilton Marine) where you can get air fills. If you are in the area, I'd certainly recommend you give Ed a call & see what's happening.

Happy Diving.

Hello:

Id like to come and dive Maine sometime next month as I have heard a lot about diving there. Any locals interested in showing me some dive sites? Also ... if someone is coming just for the purpose of diving, which area would you guys recommend to stay in?

Also ... how come there is mostly shore diving and not boat diving there?

Thanks so much for the info guys. I dont have an area decided as of yet. I will go wherever the best diving is. I read about Maine in 50 places to dive before you die so I thought I must dive this place. I just have a feeling that the northern part of maine will have better diving than the south. I am prepared to drive all the way up to the Canadian border. I will surely be giving these places a call to find out what is happening. Thanks once again for all the info.

gbirch has it right... Diver Ed is currently running Sunday dive charters. We just did dives out at Egg Rock Lighthouse this past week. Eastport has some amazing diving as well.

Cheers!
Joe

Yes I read the book "50 PLACES TO DIVE BEFORE YOU DIE." Northern Maine was listed in it as one of the best sites!!! I was totally surprised because not a lot of people consider Maine to be an international diving destination. I am also looking to dive some places in Eastport area. If any of you folks would like to join me on one of the shore dives next month let me know. I plan on driving all the way up to the Eastport area so pretty much the whole of Maine coast is open game for me.

If am going to highly recommend:
Diving in Maine, Scuba diving charters, sportfishing cruises, custom boat charters maine.

It's not the farthest north but it's near Rockland, and Camden, as well as very close to the Marshall Point Lighthouse (Forrest Gump ran to it), and Port Clyde; all very beautiful areas. Capt Dave runs out to Monhegan Island for diving and that alone is worth seeing. Additionally, there is a cottage for rent on the banks of the St George. If you want a quiet vacation, this cannot be beat.

Yes, I was looking at that too. Unfortunately Dave will be away till 15th of October. After that I dont know if it would be worth diving because I have been told that most marine life moves towards warmer waters. I checked the island and it was beautiful.

Bummer. Except for Scotland, I've never had a more enjoyable time on holiday than staying in that cottage, and being in that area.

Bummer. Except for Scotland, I've never had a more enjoyable time on holiday than staying in that cottage, and being in that area.

Which cottage? Which area? Do you have a link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom