Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine when faced with a insta-buddy who didn't have an octopus proceeded to remove his. The buddy said what are you doing? My frind replied well if you aren't sharing, neither am I.

On page 4 of this thread there are 3 or 4 responses to a post I made....a polite, civil post...and that post of mine seems to have been deleted. Take a deeeeeep breath Ann...think this through....

I went back and looked at your post and I have restored it. You are correct. There were many people that were starting to attack someone for a difference of opinion and when I saw a name listed I was too hasty and deleted your post.

I'm only replying in thread to let others know that YES, I did make a mistake and I restored your post.

If anyone has any questions about me removing their post, please PM me and I'll be happy to take another look at it.

I have had to share air twice in the real world. They out of air person was not my buddy nor did they politely ask me for air, each time they just hauled it out of my mouth and bolted. No options to donate air were offered me. 
I have had to share air a number of times, every time it involved my buddy and it always went by the numbers. A few of those incidents are described in other posts on the board:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3167435-post17.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3299074-post94.html

I dive as though I assume I do not have air available to me from anyone else, makes it a much safer dive don't you think?
I dive exactly the same way, but I must hasten to add that I assume my air is available to anyone who wants it any time that they want it.
This is great! You talking about it! I am still waiting for someone to post what agency says your air belongs to someone else! And I would not dive with someone who risked both of our lives with a Laz-i-fare attitude about their air. I have always done my best to take care of myself first and then my buddy! Let me also say you will not find ONE post where I said I wouldn't share air with a buddy!
I take this as your making that statement:
Papa_Bear:
All the air in my tank is mine! Period and if I let someone have it I will choose and control it! If you have been taught that get better training! You are not a baby sitter it is your life support not your buddies! If you are diving as a buddy team you turned on the less air tank and you are at 15ft with 500psi of your air! He can suck his tank dry in go up! If you think he needs a little more time give him your backup and when you both run out go up! Why do you and a few here try to make this such a complicated endeavor? A safety stop is just that! I made 1500 dives without one and until the 80s you never heard of such a thing unless you were doing deco dives! It is not a required stop! If my buddy miss judges he needs to learn not to!
As far as I am concerned the duty to share air with your buddy is an inviolate commitment and not subject to the kind of equivocation that you go through.
You are miss-quoting me and miss-representing my position! I have simple said your attitude as a diver has to be air is life and it is your air! Period! If you are going diving with an other person who believes your air is theirs! You are and will be in trouble sooner or later! I would not dive with someone who thought my air belonged to them! No one owns me! That attitude will keep you alive and your buddy!
Everyone I dive with may believe and act on the belief that my air belongs to them. If that means that you will not dive with me … I’ll just have control my extreme disappointment.

What if you were diving solo and your buddy said it? :)

THIS is the quote I meant to respond to :):)

You'd have bigger issues than "gas."

Sharing air in a conventional manner is dangerous with an out right paniced diver. Hense why I dive with a longer hose. This way I can avoid a possible major panic on an acent line or at the surface as stated above. Always remaining in control of my secondard and donating my primary as to avoid the paniced diver from ripping my reg out. I can push off and regain control.

Control is the primary concern as well as my own saftey. Secondary is donating my working air source to get control again of an emergency.

just my 5 cents worth...CDN dollar is hanging in there..:D

The long hose has its place, but I fail to see how this is it. Unless you also have your longhose attached to the end of a five foot pole, you're going to have to be withing arms reach of the OOA diver in order to donate. Once you've donated the long hose, I'm not sure why you would want to push off as you're most likely going to rip the reg right out of the OOA diver's mouth, putting him/her right back into a panic.

Maybe I'm just confused.

Then, you frequently monitor your buddy's air

nobody's monitoring my air. the fact that i haven't turned the dive means i have enough.

diving thirds to me means leaving 1/3 for emergencies. that might be loss of gas, light failure (meaning you're going a lot slower), lost buddy, whatever. that third is not a guarantee of getting your buddy out of any possible situation from maximum penetration, but it's sure as shootin' better than *no* reserve or plan.

now, i'm not diving with someone who explicitly won't share. i do, however, have to respect the thought of not creating two recoveries. in one class the instructor started a discussion about that. he posed it as a question - if you have to donate your long hose, would you isolate? there's no right or wrong, just your thoughts & what you would be able to live or die with.

and yes, that's from a doubles perspective, but in singles there isn't any thought process. why not donate when a thumbed dive means a nice slow ascent straight up is the next step? if *i* don't have enough to donate, i've already turned the dive.

A friend of mine when faced with a insta-buddy who didn't have an octopus proceeded to remove his. The buddy said what are you doing? My frind replied well if you aren't sharing, neither am I.

:rofl3: Priceless

nobody's monitoring my air. the fact that i haven't turned the dive means i have enough.
I want my buddy to monitor my gas. I want to know where my buddy's gas is at ... at regular intervals. That way if there is something going on we'll pick it up.
diving thirds to me means leaving 1/3 for emergencies. that might be loss of gas, light failure (meaning you're going a lot slower), lost buddy, whatever. that third is not a guarantee of getting your buddy out of any possible situation from maximum penetration, but it's sure as shootin' better than *no* reserve or plan.
What diving thirds means (to the rest of the world) is 1/3 in, 1/3 out, and 1/3 for my buddy.
now, i'm not diving with someone who explicitly won't share. i do, however, have to respect the thought of not creating two recoveries. in one class the instructor started a discussion about that. he posed it as a question - if you have to donate your long hose, would you isolate? there's no right or wrong, just your thoughts & what you would be able to live or die with.
No I would not isolate.
and yes, that's from a doubles perspective, but in singles there isn't any thought process. why not donate when a thumbed dive means a nice slow ascent straight up is the next step? if *i* don't have enough to donate, i've already turned the dive.
Yes ... very good point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom