Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
no b.s. now ... if your 18 year old son or daughter wanted to join the Army or Marines, would you say "Go for it" or "I wouldn't recomend it?"

no politics ... just "gut feeling"

i ask because of this article:

Military Sees Parents as Big Recruiting Obstacle

As ex military myself and as I actually renewed one of my contracts knowing that doing so would mean going to a warzone, I would tell my offspring if I had any that its up to them. That is provided I would consider them mentally prepared for it..
It was an experience that wether I like it or not change me as a person and an experience that a lot of people I know wouldnt be capable of handle in different ways.
Theres a lot of things you should consider before signing a contract saying that you can be sent to a war that I think many dont even consider.
My dad was not all that happy about me going, but as he said himself, as long as youre legally an adult, he couldnt stop me, just offer his opinion and support.
A general thanks to my dad for being there and supporting me, both with my now ex-career choices and in any every other aspect of my life..

My son is turning 18 next year...he's going to get drafted for 15 months (Europe)...we will see.

I for one would leave it up to them and support them either way.

I have raised my children to make decisions and to take responsibility for the outcome good or bad. We usually take all the good and bad we can identify and then go with the gut.

Both my oldest son(21) and youngest daughter(15) I would believe capable of serving and if they survived would have a positive return on their time spent. My middle daughter(17) I don't believe has the personality that would gain from the experience and tend to believe it would create more destructive or mental anguish than she could bear.

One thing I know for sure is you never know how or what the outcome would be for any of them.

Hall

I have a son who turns 18 in about 10 days. If he wanted to go in the military I don't think this is the best of times. We've talked about the military and I've told him there's nothing wrong with serving. But without violating the TOS I can't go into my reasons about why I don't think this is the best of times.

I had the option to join the submarine corp or work for American Sterilizer back in 1979 straight out of high school. I qualified "nuke" school but AMSCO offered me an insanely great job. My job was to travel all over the country as a service technician working on all of AMSCO's products. It was the greatest job any 19 yr old could ever ask for...however in hind sight I regret to this day not joining the USN Submarine Corp ... there is a lost sense of service which still bugs me.

I now live on the other side of Point Loma from the Sub Base here in San Diego and contract regularly on the base and still wonder what if ...just fascinates me.

Though I saw all of this country by the time I was 21 just about every major city, backwoods hospital, clinic, pharmacutical plant, medical mfg, plant etc in almost every state including Puerto Rico several times just wish I would have served.

I would encourage my daughter to serve 4 years first then go to college. I worked at AMSCO till I was 21 then went on to get my BSEE ... definitely would encourage her to serve first then continue with her education.

Yes, even though it could be hellish. Men have a role in society that many do not understand. Only warriors can give us the special bond of our still-tribal society. Many households have lost fathers, we will eventually lose our warriors, they are fewer and fewer with each passing year. To know a man that is willing to die for a belief, is primal.

Men who do not yearn for this should not be forced, but the ones that feel the calling are different, and we are lucky to know them.

Recently, a board member told me his combination of dread and pride for his sons. They heard the calling, and part of him was disappointed and yet he related to the need for these young men to carve out the experience that will test their limits and their beliefs more than most life experiences. I would send my son as mothers have sent thier sons for centuries. It is a right of passage.

I know this is borderlining the rules h2andy set in the start about no politics, but still, here goes..
Before anyone sign up for military service, I feel they should get some basic knowledge of the politics thats going to define your service. I wouldnt like coming home to discover Ive been serving a cause in which I dont believe or support..
(No, Im NOT questioning the politics that any country currently work with here, just saying that you should have some basic knowledge of it before making up your mind)

Catherine: I wouldnt quite go as far as calling serving a rite of passage, but an experience that will define the person you are, most definetly. And yes, people who serve often goes out with it with a far different attitude than they had coming in.

Deleted.

If it were my kid and I felt they were making a snap decision, such as right after a terrible event such as 9/11, I would highly encourage them to wait, a "cooling off" period if you will. If they had truly thought it out and still wanted to enlist they I would support them every step of the way.

You can't live your kids' lives for them. You also can't completely protect them from all the bad that goes on in this world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom