Would You Rather Dive Costa Rica Or San Andres Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've dived in the Guanacaste area of Costa Rica years ago and thought it was great. Although low visibility, it made up for the many large animals. I have a chance to return to the area but this time dive off Drake Bay at Cano Island in Costa Rica. But also can opt to go to San Andres Island which I am aware is officially part of Columbia but physically closer to Central America.

If you had a choice between these two areas, would you rather dive Cano Island on the Pacific side of Costa Rica or San Andres Island on the Caribbean side?

I can't speak to San Andres Island - but I had one of my all-time favorite dives off Cano Island (back in 2001). Countless devil rays, dozens of blacktips, beautiful pinnacles, and massive schools of large pelagic fish you could swim through.

The time of year would be very determinative.

Getting to Pac CR is fairly easy and cheap. San Andres? Not so much.

A friend who owned a big dive op in CR waved me off, said I shouldn't bother, so I never did. :idk:

I rarely go back to the same place more than once, maybe twice. I have been to San Andres twice now.

Why go to a zone which you have seen when one that is so exotic beckons? Few North Americans ever get to San Andres.

I dove San Andres in the mid 90's. It was awesome. If you can sort it out get a flight to Provedencia. I would like to touch base with any folks diving around Golfito, Zancudo or Pavones CR. I've connections in that area I might try to spend some time there if there is diving. Cheers.

I have dove both. San Andres for me I was not that impressed with but I was in Roatan for 2 years and rated the diving there more than in san andres. Costa Rica with the big fish I never get bored!

If you had a choice between these two areas, would you rather dive Cano Island on the Pacific side of Costa Rica or San Andres Island on the Caribbean side?

Cano Island, hands down.

Have a blast.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

We love diving Cano, have never been to San Andres, but I would not plan on a week of diving at Cano. There are only about five sites at Cano and it gets very repetitive after more than a few days. If the seas cooperate Devil's Rock is outstanding.

Cano, absolutely. We dove Cano in 2011 and San Andres in 2012. Cano was outstanding, great pinnacles and marine life. We tried multiple dive sites all around San Andres & the reef is basically dead due to over fishing, the island has experienced a population explosion and there are so many people, over 80,000 on a small island, that the reefs have been destroyed as there are no fishing regulations. Providencia on the other hand is stunning, both above & below the water, development & immigration are very tightly controlled, you can't move there even if you are from Colombia unless your family is from the island. If you go make sure to dive with Felipe, awesome dive operator that knows the island better than anyone.

I would think that for larger marine life, Cano Island would be the place to go rather than San Andres - from what I'm reading so far.

Cano, absolutely. We dove Cano in 2011 and San Andres in 2012. Cano was outstanding, great pinnacles and marine life. We tried multiple dive sites all around San Andres & the reef is basically dead due to over fishing, the island has experienced a population explosion and there are so many people, over 80,000 on a small island, that the reefs have been destroyed as there are no fishing regulations. Providencia on the other hand is stunning, both above & below the water, development & immigration are very tightly controlled, you can't move there even if you are from Colombia unless your family is from the island. If you go make sure to dive with Felipe, awesome dive operator that knows the island better than anyone.

( Not meaning to hijack thread, but on topic of San Andres / Providencia )
Hi Wayne,
I believe you're in Roatan with operator there...but wanted to ask you more about Providencia.
We're visiting inlaws in Colombia between Christmas and New Year's Eve this year and then taking 1wk to do some warm water diving.

We've been considering Roatan, originally looking at an all inclusive ( cost savings/convenience ), Fantasy Island Resort (next to Cocoview), but now checking out other locations.
I was thinking since we're in Colombia, and travelling from there to San Andres (ferry to Providencia) would be easy, I wanted to know your thoughts/comparisons of say Roatan to Providencia?
If we dive Providencia this Jan(2015) then we'll book Roatan later in the year.

Really appreciate someone's opinion who has dived both.
Thanks!
Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom