WOW ! Great Vis on the U-boat report !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longstocking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I went out with Dave H. last weekend. We normally go out with this group of people every other weekend or so. Vis is usually 3 feet at max. We had to go hook up a new line to the U-boat in southern Maryland because it had gone missing. We had FANTASTIC vis ! 15 to 20 feet !!!! I could actually see what I was doing !!!! Current was zero on the bottom .... very little on top. Great weekend of diving !!

Sarah,

I am interested in knowing what u-boat you dove on in southern Maryland?
I didn't know there was a diveable u-boat in Maryland waters.
Do you have anymore details?
Thanks,
Bill

U-1105 Historic Shipwreck

Go here for more info....

http://66.84.56.195/imh/static/ship.html

It's a volunteer group that has a grant from Maryland that maintains the U-boat but anyone can dive it. We also run a sonar for uncharter wrecks.... but the wrecks that are discovered are protected. So unless you are on the boat... you don't get to find out where they are.

It's a working boat... so not glamarous. But if you are looking to dive wrecks it's a great group

Gotcha...Thanks!
This is the one in the Potomac.
When I first read your post I was "reading" Maryland,
but my brain was thinking Maine.:confused:

Sounds like a cool thing you're doing...I heard that because the 1105 is in freash water that it's preserved better than the other diveable U-boats. Is that true? I know you said vis is usually 3 feet, but when it's good, is it in pretty good shape for a shipwreck?
Is the wood deck still on it?

Bill

That sounds interesting. I see it says you need several classes. This is something that interests me, but what are some of the classes needed? It says archaeological training and dive skills. Do you know the specifics? I am no where near able to do it at this point, since I have not completed open water yet. My hope is to become a wreck diver and S&R diver.

Bill, I honestly didn't see much of the boat but from what the others saw it's in great shape. I didn't see much of the u-boat because my buddy and I had to hook up the marker and line. From what I did see it's in tact. The conning tour is in great shape ! The U-352 in North Carolina, from what I rememeber diving it, is in better shape... if that helps you at all. But, the structure on this boat was much from fasinating.

You need to be at least an advanced diver to dive with this group. It's technical diving and you will get blacked out from time to time. In terms of the archaeological side, you need to watch some video's so you learn what not to touch and disturb. The captain can give those to you on loan. Basically, it's too teach you how to identify a "new" wreck vs. a historical wreck. Or you can take the actual class which I think is $100.00.

i hvae always wanted to dive this, but cant get anyone to go down with me. plus i dont know how to get there, but isnt by the potomac naval yard?? when is the next time you are going to dive it?

David.Howe@maritimehistory.org.

E-mail this person. Since we just went out on the U-boat I don't know when we will be going out again. But if you e-mail Dave he might know. It's great experience for anyone wanting to get some dives in... and learn how they work a site. Just be pre-pared for black outs. The u-boat sits at about 80 feet... so not an easy dive if you are dealing with low vis and trying to work on the dang thing.

I'm honestly not sure where it is ( sorry I was talking to the captain about where to tie the line up at).... but I do know it's close to tall timers ( the marina). I could see a re-fueling area for barges onland from the sight...

ANyone can come check it out.... you do not have know the archaeological side of it at first. Come see if you like it first then you are loaned the tapes to watch. Alot of people don't like diving in zero vis.... so make sure you like it before spending your time with the classes or videos. You will be considered a "guest" but still get to dive if we are diving the day we go out. Did I mention this is all FREE ! Air is paid for... just bring a lunch. Tax deduction too ! Most people bring their own gear but there is gear on the boat as well.

Thanks for the info! This is certainly something that interest me! Once I get the required courses I will be in contact.

We went out again last weekend with Dave. Great viz again ! 20 feet ! Dove an uncharted wreck 140+ years old.

I found out the U-boat is right off piney point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom