wreck certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djk53

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My brother and I have done the academic portion toward wreck diving certification (PADI) plus 1 dive. We need 3 more certification dives.

My brother has completed his advanced open water; I have my master diver certification.

I would like to get some input on an appropriate location in or near the United States, to do our last 3 dives toward wreck diving that would be appropriate to my brother's advanced open water certification level (we are both certified for deep -- neither of us is certified for current diving or dry suit). From the tiny bit of research I've done, I was considering either Pensacola or Panama City, Fl.

I would also like input on the best time of year for your suggested location(s).

Thanks!

Honestly, if you're willing to come to Florida, go a bit farther to Key Largo. If it were not me, (haha) I'd say go Jim Wyatt. He does a pretty awesome tour of the Spiegelgrove. After-all, he's spent literally years inside it. :)

Honestly, if you're willing to come to Florida, go a bit farther to Key Largo. If it were not me, (haha) I'd say go Jim Wyatt. He does a pretty awesome tour of the Spiegelgrove. After-all, he's spent literally years inside it. :)

I think the advice above is good. There are very nice wrecks also in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area as well.

My brother and I have done the academic portion toward wreck diving certification (PADI) plus 1 dive. We need 3 more certification dives.

My brother has completed his advanced open water; I have my master diver certification.

I would like to get some input on an appropriate location in or near the United States, to do our last 3 dives toward wreck diving that would be appropriate to my brother's advanced open water certification level (we are both certified for deep -- neither of us is certified for current diving or dry suit). From the tiny bit of research I've done, I was considering either Pensacola or Panama City, Fl.

I would also like input on the best time of year for your suggested location(s).

Thanks!

summer is best for all of these --- June to Sept specifically, just watch out for storms which can cancel boat trips.

listed in order easiest to hardest:
Ft Lauderdale.... lots and lots of wrecks and dive ops to take you to them.
Key Largo... several large wrecks.
North Carolina..... WWII wrecks but they are deeper and longer boat ride out (if you get seasick easily, skip this place!) but these are the real deal, amazing wrecks and fishlife.

I have done all of these, and they are all worthwhile. NC wrecks are mindblowing.

great diving all along the Florida east coast. Dive from Jupiter to Key Largo and you'll find it perfect....and awesome!
we have a bunch of great wrecks here on the Treasure Coast. From big ones to WWII ones to amazing artificial reefs. Not to mention that we're known for big sealife like sharks, Jewfish, manta rays, turtles and more

Lots of good options here in Key Largo including Capt Jim Wyatt. If I can answer any questions shoot me a PM.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

summer is best for all of these --- June to Sept specifically, just watch out for storms which can cancel boat trips.

Hoping for more info on this -- what makes this the best time for these dives? water temp? better vis? less current? I have no experience in that neighborhood, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Is there a way to lessen the likelihood of encountering a storm -- for example, try to schedule on one end or the other of hurricane season, like toward the first part of June?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom