Wreck diving - something I saw as a grey area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
I'm not sure it was the right thing to do.

as one of my instructors used to say: "when in doubt, there is no doubt."

in other words, never ever do anything you're not sure about that you could or should do it.

marusso:
Now my question is what type of training does GUE offer for wreck penetration. Is it simply the Cave 1 class? I have not seen any training classes on the GUE website for wreck penetration.

To me, even though caves and wrecks both offer similiar conditions and hazards, both also have different dangers to consider.

Thanks,

Michael

Edit: Or what type of training should one pursue?
Only three agency courses with unique & specific Instructor's class syllabi are what IMO, DIR-compliant:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162537
http://www.breakthrudiving.com/classes/outlines/wreck1.html
http://www.hawaiitechnicaldivers.com/courses.htm#wreck

GUE doesn't have a Wreck Course per se. . .

cmalinowski:
my question that I think has been missed is: Where was your team and why did no one else question this move?

I aplaud you for asking this. This is what DIR is about. Asking questions and getting answers and being frank with yourself and your dive team. As someone put it to me recently, there is no pride in DIR diving. If you make mistakes, your team points them out and you all become stronger. You don't hide them in the hopes that others will not mention them and you will "get away with it". Your asking was great and exactly what you should have done with your team post-dive. And your team should have questioned you.

Glad you asked this.

Chris
When I motioned that we would drop down and look around my teammate gave me an OK. We dropped down shined our lights around and then came back up. The whole process took less than a minute.

I really didn't think of it as a problem when I did it. Post dive, I brought it up and questioned whether that was something that we shouldn't have done and we both agreed that it seemed acceptable. It was only later that I started to think more about it and futher questioned the action. That led to this thread.

In the future, if faced with a question like that, a solid "no" will be the answer. Of course, we won't be asking each other that question again and it would involve another teammate.

I firmly believe that we should be willing to "expose" our mistakes and when asking questions we should listen to the responses without arguing on our own behalf. Note that I don't say that we should accept all replies without question. In my opinion, questions help us learn and clarify what we are told. That said, I have not heard anything in this thread that would require questions for a better understanding on my part. It's all been loud and clear and I appreciate that.

Christian

This is what DIR is about. Asking questions and getting answers and being frank with yourself and your dive team. As someone put it to me recently, there is no pride in DIR diving.

Beautifully said.

Christian do you believe the depth/narcosis clouded your judgement at the time?

I assume that dropping into the hole was not part of an agreed upon plan.

Data:
as one of my instructors used to say: "when in doubt, there is no doubt."

in other words, never ever do anything you're not sure about that you could or should do it.

That's a good saying. I have another: "When in doubt, ask yourself how it will read in the incident report."

theskull

(Hi Christian. You did start a good one here.)

This is what DIR is about. Asking questions and getting answers and being frank with yourself and your dive team. As someone put it to me recently, there is no pride in DIR diving.

and this starts in Fundies when the video camera zaps your pride out of you.....:D

rjack321:
Christian do you believe the depth/narcosis clouded your judgement at the time?

I assume that dropping into the hole was not part of an agreed upon plan.
That's a good question about narcosis. I would say "no" since we still thought what we had done was OK after we surfaced.

Your assumption is correct, in that this was not part of the original plan. We both incorrectly arrived at the conclusion that it would be OK to just drop into the hole, take a quick look and then come out. So, it was agreed upon when we got to the hole.

Christian

ok, honest answer.

In my personal diving, I have chalked alot of "less than prudent mid-dive plan changes" up to narcosis. Mostly because when we surface we end up acknowledging that the changes weren't such a great idea in a debrief.

I know not to make mid-water plan changes on 32%, whereas I am more willing (and can think about them faster) on 30/30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom