Wreck of the Mexicano - Currituck Beach, North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

Built during 1893 in England, the tanker Mexicano foundered off Currituck Beach Light, North Carolina, in September, 1903 as the result of a hurricane. Of a 22 man crew, only 7 survived. Previously misidentified as the Equipoise, the Mexicano sits roughly 65 miles south/southeast of Virginia Beach in cooler Mid-Atlantic waters.

[vimeo]6585997[/vimeo]

Sitting upright from the sand at 140 FT, much of the 270 FT long wreck has deteriorated to skeletal remains but is still substantial. Machinery litters the deck and a huge triple expansion reciprocating steam engine sits next to a large boiler. The bow, twisted at an angle, towers 30 FT or more above the sand. The wreck is approximately 40 FT wide and creates a substantial presence. I'm shooting video wearing twin 108s, with a slung 80, in a Viking drysuit, holding a large and still heavy housing, dealing with a current. Sorry for the shake!

The large circular mounted object covered with net near the beginning of the video is the still-present auxiliary helm.

I shot this with a Sony PD-170 mounted in a Gates Housing using a Fathom SWP 35 110 degree port. I'm using two 15 W HID lights. Shutter is 1/60, f stop 3.4, white balance set to automatic/outdoor. The Vimeo conversion is from an MPEG 2 file. When Vimeo converted the file, it darkened by about 30% so I will adjust and update.

ENJOY !!!

Andy

Thanks for all the nice comments!

The sound track is from Sonic Fire Pro, "Intrigue/Myths/Legends - PS-14" called 'Wrath of Hades" and it's the "Torch" track variation.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom