Wreck off John's Pass, short delay Tues before freediving St Pete Beach Barge & Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I jumped in on a bobbing hull barely north of JP on Tues 05-12, and didn't like what I saw. It was a catamaran bow and some dangling debris barely caught on the edge of the JP sand bar.

It was fairly low tide and there was about 20' of broken up glassed over wood panels, twisted rope, electrical wiring and plastic tubing all hanging from the splitting apart bow of the cat, in about 12' of water. I recognized the glassed wood, it was the same as a table top sized piece I fished out of the bay a few days before. The whole thing looked like it was about to break free and float into the incoming tide at JP.

I tied some old lines to it and gave it a little tug west... while I bumped it in an out of gear to take up the slack, it came off the bar instantly at idle. That's when I realized I had an extreme restricked ability to manuever problem on my hands. My first thought was to short rope tow it into JP and get one of the cranes to fish it out, but it took me a 1/4 mile to turn it towards marker #1. No way would I try to navigate the narrower than ever JP in current.

USCG St Pete advised to find a place to cut it loose and they would list it as a hazard to navigation. I told them I would tow it away from the pass and try to stick it shallower on the sand bar.

Beach fishing is now better than ever about a mile north of JP, in 6' of water. I hope it stays there. Still was after high tide this afternoon. I doubt it will for long though, so drive carefully.

Dive Report: Continued out to spearfish on the St Pete Beach Artificial Reef 7 miles to the SW. I could see the barge & tanks from the surface until the afternoon tide changed. It dropped from about 25' visibility to maybe 15'. Got hot & had to ditch my wetsuit... a shorty would be the ticket! More in the Times Sat.

Chad

Attachments

• JP Cat bow.JPG
    JP Cat bow.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 134
  • JP Cat bow cu lw.JPG
    JP Cat bow cu lw.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 110
  • JP Cat bow tow lw.JPG
    JP Cat bow tow lw.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Cat bow 1nm N of JP lw.JPG
    Cat bow 1nm N of JP lw.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Gag 05-12-09 SPB SIB.JPG
    Gag 05-12-09 SPB SIB.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 141
It was already holding a lot of bait where I found it, but because it is splitting up badly it will not last. I would have preferred to remove it because it's slightly buoyant, but I was not able to do that.

Even big strong wrecks crumble under natures power. Sometimes man's errors, like shrimp net snags break up the smaller ones.

Capt Chad

Great report thanks. I did not know you could see the tanks on a low tide or that you could see the beach so clearly from SPB reef :)

The morning tide usually has the best visibility... you have to love this time of year!

Capt Chad

Funny you say that. I am always telling people this is the best time of year to dive around here. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom