Wreck or Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my very limited diving experience, so far I greatly prefer reefs

Reefs.
Diving has much the same appeal as walks in the woods. Getting away from as much man-made crap as possible.

I feel pretty much the same way. When I dive a wreck, I dive it to see what is living and growing on it.

I just don't get much of a thrill looking at a ship where man and machine both suffered the misfortune of sinking. I can see plenty of junk on land.

Caveat: I would not mind visiting some wrecks that have some profound historical importance, like the Arizona but that's pretty much it.

I love them both equally, and prefer doing a wreck and a reef on a two tank. Wrecks in the caribbean provide homes for our many turtles and nurse sharks. Right now the 12 footers are coming in to mate. To watch a newly sunk ship grow into an artificial reef is fascinating. Junk - ask the fish what they think.

If you were to look at the raw number of "looks" or hits on wreck photos versus critter images (here on SB Albums), you'll see that the wrecks are the attraction.

I think most divers prefer wrecks because most divers are new divers and wrecks are really easy to spot... comparatively.

As others have said:

- If the wreck has a historical significance, that's cool. (The Thistlegorm)

- If the wreck is useful as a navigational focus (aid) of the dive, that's useful. (The Oriskany)

- If the wreck is overgrown, it becomes an interesting microcosm study of niche reef structure. (The Prince Albert, Roatan)

This is especially apparent and obvious at a place like CoCoView. The placed Prince Albert Wreck being 200' from your room is a huge draw in terms of pre-trip questions and interest.

Many people are intrigued by wreck penetration, even if it is on fairly a beginner level. The mere mention of the word "wreck", whether a "placed artificial reef structure" or nautical misfortune, conjures up images of high adventure.

As long as a wreck is as overgrown as a wall (my preferred reef structure), I like them both.

If the wreck has no growth on it, I'm likely the first one diving on it, and the attraction there is something entirely different.

Wrecks- the bbetter preserved the more I like em. THis does however mean deep and cold. But 20 minutes on the bottom in 40 degree water on a wreck that went down in the 1800's or early 1900's is more fun than a 55 minute reef dive in 80 degree water to me.

Without question wrecks!
Intact wrecks though not a pile of boards on the bottom. That's what's great about the Great Lakes, you can dive anything from 150 year old wooden sailing ships to modern steel freighters.

I love them both equally, and prefer doing a wreck and a reef on a two tank. Wrecks in the caribbean provide homes for our many turtles and nurse sharks. Right now the 12 footers are coming in to mate. To watch a newly sunk ship grow into an artificial reef is fascinating. Junk - ask the fish what they think.

I agree with Laura : When its too cold up here to dive the wrecks head down south to dive the reefs & wrecks down there.

Back
Top Bottom