Wreck Reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiveGirl

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I havent had much luck with wreck reels in the past :upset:- they always seem to be cheap or not durable... Any recommendations on a good one - with at least say 200ft of line?

I came across the Manta reels at DEMA the other day. They look very strong and well built. They seemed to have some nice gear. I'd check them out if I were you.

Scott

I'll have to check that out along with Halcyon and my co-worker here just said Dive Rite is pretty good too.

Thanks for all the help!

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...
my co-worker here just said Dive Rite is pretty good too.

I know Dive Rite changed their design from a top handle to a side handle, and I've not tried the top side handled version.

However my eye is always out for a new reel. I hate my Dive Rite. It constantly jumps and gets fouled. You can work around it, but it takes a buddy that truely understands the concepts of keeping tension on the line while you're reeling in. There has been more than once when I've had to wrap the reel like a spool and deal with it on the surface.

The other thing I hate about the DR reel is the plastic reel lock. They strip _really_ easily.

I looked at the manta reels, but IMHO I'm not sure I like the way the locking mechanism works. To have to keep it squeezed would be a pain if your holding anything other than a goodman handled light. However I've never used one, so I don't know for sure, that's just my initial opinion.

I found a reel at Beneath The Sea last year. It's not been a priority, so I've not dug out the information on those reels and given a better look at them; but my initial opinion was good. Some place in canada, that's all I remember.

I've had a DR reel for years and had trouble with the locking screw myself. I never had it stick but I did have it twist off do to the fact that it's made of nylon. I removed the remainder of the screw and replaced it with a stainless steel screw and wing nut which seems to work well. I've attached a pic of the modified reel.

Scott

Spectre once bubbled...
I looked at the manta reels, but IMHO I'm not sure I like the way the locking mechanism works. To have to keep it squeezed would be a pain if your holding anything other than a goodman handled light. However I've never used one, so I don't know for sure, that's just my initial opinion.

They have an option called the "cave cam" that allows the reel to spin freely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom