Wrecks in Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife is dragging me on a non-diving vacation to Italy. We will be staying for a while on the Amalfi coast. Anybody no of any wrecks and dive operators in that area that I could sneak off to? I'm going to hide my mask in my luggage and will have to rent everything else there.

That is too funny.

I have no idea, but good luck. Hope she is willing to go shopping or something alone...

Wijbrandus,

Are you planning on going on a Truk Lagoon trip? We have a group going in November on the Aggressor and we are getting the whole boat, I guess there are 10 or so spots left.

Octo, that is one of my dream trips. Who are you going with and how much? Most of those trips I've seen start at about 5k pp, and that's still a bit out of reach for me at this time. Plus, I'm a rookie yet.

One of my life goals is to hit Truk when I can afford trimix and have the skills to get to the ships no one else does.

A dive shop in Cherry Creek , Underwater Phanatseas is putting it on, it is pricey, about 3900 but it's on a live aboard and it's all inclusive except for flight from Denver to LA. Do you do any dives locally?

octotat:
A dive shop in Cherry Creek , Underwater Phanatseas is putting it on, it is pricey, about 3900 but it's on a live aboard and it's all inclusive except for flight from Denver to LA. Do you do any dives locally?

That's my shop, I figured you might have been talking about them with that time frame. That price is out of reach for me at this time. My budget for this year's dive trip is about that amount for two people. Looking into another warm water weenie trip, Roatan if possible, this coming Nov.

Having just certified last summer, and currently doing my AOW, I really haven't explored the local stuff. Did the Blue Hole (Santa Rosa, NM), and doing Homestead on April 10 for my AOW dives, but I'm waiting for the local water to warm up or I get my DS cert, whichever comes first.

Are you a member of any local diving clubs?

octotat:
My wife is dragging me on a non-diving vacation to Italy. We will be staying for a while on the Amalfi coast. Anybody no of any wrecks and dive operators in that area that I could sneak off to? I'm going to hide my mask in my luggage and will have to rent everything else there.

i went a few years ago with these guys. diving tour . they were extrememly nice. we dove along the rocks and caverns. no wrecks. the dives were ok, but not too exciting. but the boat ride to the site was amazing. great view of the coast and had the locals pointing out the ruins and explaining everything. that alone was worth it. plus the shop is in this really small town. hate to use the word "cute", because im all man, but it was. so in short id recommend doing it just to get out in a small boat on the water to check out the coast.

octotat:
I was stationed in Naples for a few years and there are a couple of wrecks in the area. They are the Dorris and (sp?) Shanty. The Dorris is a pretty good wreck...still intact and you can actually go into the cargo bay and pull out Compari soda bottles and other stuff. I believe it went down in the late 60s. If I recall, if you are very determined you can get to it from shore...a real rocky pier.
Can't really help you out with a diveshop because I went with the base diving club. Hopefully, that can get you a start. :bravo:

weekender:
but the boat ride to the site was amazing. great view of the coast and had the locals pointing out the ruins and explaining everything. that alone was worth it. plus the shop is in this really small town.

I Have been there as well, I did not get to dive, but I remember looking over the bluffs at a beautiful inviting sea. I know the vis is pretty good. As weekender said it's an amazing vista, very romantic.

Back
Top Bottom