Wrecks off Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djensen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have the definitive list of wrecks off of Bonaire? I realize people define 'wreck' differently based on their own experiences. Say, any man-made vehicle larger than a rowboat... And those within rec limits.

I have Hilma Hooker, Our Confidence (not a commonly-visited site), The Machaca, the Tug (Cavalier State), Cooper's Barge (at 130'), and Hesper (also at 130').

Are there others? I'm told there's an airplane wreck somewhere, but can find no further information on it...

Thanks

A couple you don't have - info on these 1st two found here: Wreck Diving | Bonaire Diving

MS Barham - dive site #60-Red Slave

At Red Slave there are the remains of the wreck HMS Barham who was blown to smitherines in World War II. You can find anchors, ballast stones and other remains.

Tilisa Del Mar - dive site #61-Willemstoren Lighthouse

This old freighter wreck is hard to find as she is nearly covered due to a strong current in this area. She sank in June 1983.
There's also 2 or 3? wrecks near the Boka Spelonk lighthouse on the east side - found this about it:
There's a little known double wreck just south of Boca Spelunk. You need a boat. Bruce Bowker used to take 6 divers on an inflatable. Now there are others that go to the east side. There's a small freighter well covered with coral (no entry, not even a semblance of a ship) and a small pleasure cruiser (Italian cruisers if I remember correctly) on top of it (entry possible, but not much to see - Bruce and others salvaged it clean).

A somewhat definitive list put together in 2007 on Bonairetalk: Bonaire Talk: WRECKS! I want to dive wrecks on Bonaire - there's pictures of some of them there also.

1) New Yorker/Cavalier State (Tug) is at Front Porch Reef in ~100fsw
2) Gerrys/Willy/Bachanal is at Eden's Rubble in ~60fsw
3) Cooper Barge is at Desal Plant in ~130fsw
4) Our Confidence is at Harbour Village in ~60fsw
5) La Machaca is at Capt Don's in ~35fsw
6) The Hesper is at Capt Don's in ~130fsw
7) Hilma Hooker is at Hilma Hooker in ~90fsw
8) Windjammer is near Bopec in ~180-200fsw (guided boat dive)
9) 2 or 3 wrecks south of Boca Spelunk in ~75 to 90 fsw (boat dive)

Maybe the plane rumor is from Curacao - besides Elvin's wreck - Fokker27 put down to dive - there's also a Cessna off the former Sunset Waters resort breakwater. Also:
There are probably some more (unknown) wrecks around Curacao. There is a (strong) story of a crashed Spitfire near Hato, a (weaker) story of a P-51 Mus-tang in the entrance of the Spanish water

Back
Top Bottom