Wrinkles April '05 Dive, BBQ and Campout planning thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've started this new thread for planning purposes.

I'll keep updating this first post as a synopsis of the info in this thread and will include links to other Wrinkles threads for easy reference.

When: Saturday, Apr. 9 and Sunday, Apr. 10
Where: Leo Carrillo

What is the Wrinkles Dive?

This is a monthly gathering of all divers and non-divers in SoCal who can make it. It's a lot of fun involving diving, eating, socializing and now even camping!

It all started when our SoCal member, Wrinkles, mentioned to a group that she dove with that it would be really fun to be able to get together at least once a month. Pasley, took off with the idea and announced the first "Wrinkles Dive". The rest is history!

It's open to everyone of all skill levels from "I'm not certified yet" to "Do we really have to dive the Andrea Doria again?"

We've found this to be a great way to meet our fellow divers locally and many new dive buddies have been found though these "dive soirees".

Info on Leo Carrillo:

Dive Sites

Number to ask questions of someone who works there - 805-488-1827

Detailed Maps of the campground
http://www.geocities.com/sandeaters/sites/sp.htm
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=616
http://www.rockcitynews.com/pages/california/labeaches/beachesnicholasleocarillo.html
http://www.kids-n-cowboys.com/poncho.html

RSVP:

I've started a ScubaBoard Calendar event for you to RSVP here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=316&day=2005-4-9
(you can now rsvp and include your guest count!)

Please sign up on the Calendar, so that we can get a headcount for food. We also need this info to reserve a spot for us at Leo Carrillo.

If there will be more than one person in your party, please let us know by including your count when you RSVP, should you your guest count please remove yourself from the roll call and then add your self back to update your party size.

Also, let us know whether you will be staying over night and which days you will be attending (ie, Saturday Only, Sunday Only, Both Days). I know some people may have to work on Saturday or Sunday.

Loose Schedule of events:

8:00AM - First Dive (the gates at Leo Carrillo's Campground does not open until 8AM)
11:00AM - Second Dive
12:00AM - Lunch
2:00PM - Third Dive
5:00PM - Fourth Dive
7:30PM - Night Dive (Sunset, bring your lights, extra batteries and warm clothes)

Items needed:
BBQ will be on Sunday only. Be sure to bring what you need to eat on Saturday.

• EZup - JDog
  • Camping Lanterns - headhunter
  • BBQ grill and all the accessories (charcoal - Match Light, tongs, etc..) - JDog
  • Firewood (maybe a few people can each bring some) - Ann Marie
  • Marshmallows and graham crackers (how could you camp without them!) - Ann Marie
  • Campstove - headhunter
  • Teapot (for Hot Chocolate and Instant Coffee) - headhunter
  • Utensils
    • plates - headhunter
    • napkins - headhunter
    • forks - headhunter
    • knives - headhunter
    • trash bags - headhunter
  • Condiments:
    • ketchup - JDog
    • mayo
    • mustard - JDog
    • lettuce
    • tomatoes
    • onions
    • pickles
  • Side Dishes
    1. ? - SNOBORDJON
    2. ?
    3. ?
  • Fruit - TeqP
  • Bananas - TeqP
  • Oranges - Tech Admin
  • Veggie tray
  • Chips - TeqP
  • Dessert
    1. Brownies - HBDiveGirl
    2. ?
    3. ?
  • Hamburgers - JDog
  • Hamburger Buns - JDog
  • Hot dogs - scubainspired
  • Hot dog Buns - scubainspired
  • Hot Chocolate and Instant Coffee - Mr Carcharodon
  • Water - Tech Admin

Air Fills:

Sport Chalet
1885 Ventura Boulevard
Oxnard, CA 93030
(805) 485-5222
(Approx. 30 miles North)
Friday: 9am - 9:30pm
Saturday: 9am - 9pm
Sunday: 9am - 7pm

Or

Malibu Divers
21231 Pacific Coast Hwy
Malibu CA 90265
(310) 456-2396
(Approx. 12 miles South)
Friday: 10am - 6pm
Saturday: 8am - 6pm
Sunday: 10am - 5pm

Neither of these is "right around the corner" as you can see.

Sport Chalet is known to fill faster, so this may be a better idea if we're hauling 30 tanks in a truck. Otherwise, if we're just taking our own tanks for fills at random intervals Malibu Divers might make more sense.

Attendance:
Let me know if I've misrepresented anyone's attendance here.

Spending Friday night at campground: (14)
headhunter (1)
mccabejc (6)
Tech Admin (1)
HBDiveGirl (3)
desert camel (1)
sb_diver (2)

Saturday: (31)
headhunter (1)
mccabejc (6)
HBDiveGirl (3)
Mr Carcharodon (1)
Tech Admin (1)
rossjc (1)
Scottkl (1)
JDog (5)
CaptainMarvel (3)
Peter McGuinness (1)
Diver_Jan (1)
desert camel (1)
sb_diver (2)
TeqP (1)
Ann Marie (3)

Spending Saturday night at campground: (24)
headhunter (1)
mccabejc (6)
Tech Admin (1)
JDog (5)
Peter McGuinness (1)
Diver_Jan (1)
HBDiveGirl (3)
desert camel (1)
sb_diver (2)
Ann Marie (3)

Sunday: (28)
headhunter (1)
mccabejc (6)
SNOBORDJON (2)
HBDiveGirl (3)
Mr Carcharodon (1)
Tech Admin (1)
Scottkl (1)
JDog (5)
scubainspired (1)
desert camel (1)
sb_diver (2)
limeyx (1)
Ann Marie (3)

Tide Predictions:

Santa Monica, California
8 April 2005 - 10 April 2005
34.0083° N, 118.5000° W

Friday 2005-04-08
03:44 AM PDT -0.21 feet Low Tide
06:31 AM PDT Sunrise
09:49 AM PDT 4.95 feet High Tide
01:35 PM PDT New Moon
03:44 PM PDT 0.21 feet Low Tide
07:20 PM PDT Sunset
09:56 PM PDT 5.78 feet High Tide

Saturday 2005-04-09
04:26 AM PDT -0.46 feet Low Tide
06:30 AM PDT Sunrise
10:35 AM PDT 4.50 feet High Tide
04:11 PM PDT 0.73 feet Low Tide
07:21 PM PDT Sunset
10:24 PM PDT 5.84 feet High Tide

Sunday 2005-04-10
05:08 AM PDT -0.51 feet Low Tide
06:29 AM PDT Sunrise
11:21 AM PDT 3.99 feet High Tide
04:37 PM PDT 1.28 feet Low Tide
07:21 PM PDT Sunset
10:52 PM PDT 5.73 feet High Tide

Other Wrinkles threads:

Wrinkles April L.A. County location and May decision
A decision is being made in this thread whether the Wrinkles Dive will go to Santa Barbara in May or start the rotation over again in San Diego.

I'll update this post as we have more info.

Christian

I'll be there, probably with the whole crew (4-6 total). We're going to try to be there both Friday and Saturday nights, but I'm not certain yet. I just reserved a 31ft. developed "family" campground site for both nights (same as we had last time). It cost $57.50 to reserve for two nights. Each campground will hold up to 8 people and two cars. As more people sign up we can reserve more spots. Check-in is 2pm Friday afternoon, and check-out is noon on Sunday.

Jim,

We should probably also reserve the larger space as a "base" for diving on Sunday beyond noon as we had to do last time. This will also allow someone to stay over until Monday morning if they want to.

We can all share the costs for the campground with you and pay you when we see you. All said and done, it will cost us each less than $5 a piece and we'll have a more accurate figure once we know how many people will be attending.

Thanks.

Christian

headhunter:
Jim,

We should probably also reserve the larger space as a "base" for diving on Sunday beyond noon as we had to do last time. This will also allow someone to stay over until Monday morning if they want to.

We can all share the costs for the campground with you and pay you when we see you. All said and done, it will cost us each less than $5 a piece and we'll have a more accurate figure once we know how many people will be attending.

Thanks.

Christian
I am down to go, bringing along the wife. We would likely bring one car (yukon) and sleep in it.
Is anyone open to doing one of these wrinkles dives in Baja...say someplace close, for example...salsipuedes...87K down,..just past la fonda, before ensenada? Good camping, surfing...

John

SNOBORDJON:
I am down to go, bringing along the wife. We would likely bring one car (yukon) and sleep in it.
Is anyone open to doing one of these wrinkles dives in Baja...say someplace close, for example...salsipuedes...87K down,..just past la fonda, before ensenada? Good camping, surfing...

John
Great! It will be nice meeting you both.

Which days/nights are you thinking about?

The possibilities of going down to Mexico have come up in conversation at some of our dives. I've heard a few people express concerns about safety, so this might not become a part of the Wrinkles Dive schedule. However, some of the people on the board have gone down there with some of our San Diego members and had a great time.

Christian

headhunter:
Great! It will be nice meeting you both.

Which days/nights are you thinking about?

The possibilities of going down to Mexico have come up in conversation at some of our dives. I've heard a few people express concerns about safety, so this might not become a part of the Wrinkles Dive schedule. However, some of the people on the board have gone down there with some of our San Diego members and had a great time.

Christian
I think were looking to go both days.
I go down to Salsi like 3 time a year, for the last 8 or nine years. Never had any issues, but I also never went diving.

John

I am SOOOO bummed I will miss another get together =(

I guess I will catch you guys another time.

Have fun!!

I'm working on trying to get at least Saturday free so that I can join in. Is there a nice hotel in the area that is close to where everyone is going to be camping out?

Ann Marie:
I'm working on trying to get at least Saturday free so that I can join in. Is there a nice hotel in the area that is close to where everyone is going to be camping out?
The Hotel "Tent"! :11:

I'm not sure. There must be something near by.

We've got some friends coming in from out of town next weekend. I'll have to check this our for you if we take them on the "Deep Fried Liquor Beach Tour" that we almost always take out-of-towners on. The tour starts at Duke's in Malibu and "goes south" from there. :crafty:

It's a tour of appetizers and drinks going as far south as people last. I'm generally the designated driver and usually behave, for the most part. :wink:

Christian

I'll be there, now I just have to figure out how many nights I can spend away without the board crashing (do they have wireless access on the beaches yet :wink: ).

Back
Top Bottom