Wrinkles June '06 Dive Planning Thread - Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire:
This should be a fun day! Christian, I find I am unable to RSVP on the calendar, is it disabled?

Jennifer - You're all set.

If anyone else wishes to RSVP, shoot headhunter a pm (or me).

Does anyone know that a little fishy says it might, just might, be the upcoming of the famous Dr. Bill's 21st B-day this weekend?

Searenity:
Does anyone know that a little fishy says it might, just might, be the upcoming of the famous Dr. Bill's 21st B-day this weekend?
June 12th is Dr. Bill's birthday, so we'll be celebrating both Wrinkles and Dr. Bill's 21st birthdays this weekend! :party2:

Christian

sapphire:
Christian, I find I am unable to RSVP on the calendar, is it disabled?

jennifer
Hi Jennifer,

Yes, the calendar function is temporarily disabled, but Ted and I are keeping an accurate count on the first post of the thread.

It will be great to see you!

Christian

Searenity:

Ah, my dearly beloved #1 dive buddy and friend... you had to make your first post on SB announcing this dreaded day! Look forward to seeing you and Peter Friday and the rest of the crew Saturday. Ana and I will have to celebrate with an ice cold... club soda since I'm planning to dive Sunday as well.

FYI ... it's starting to look a little questionable for Sat morning. The LOLA near-shore model (Surfline) shows the existing S ground swell , that has Laguna beaches closed all week, appears to be fading a little slower than earlier projections. A new round of S & SW ground swell is now projected a arrive a little sooner ... forerunners may start showing tomorrow afternoon. We might be seeing inconsistent 3-4ft surf filling in with the tide push on Sat morning ... building and more consistent as the day goes on.

As of 9AM today, LSS reports that Laguna beaches remain closed. We might have to play this one by ear.

I don't have as nuanced an ability to read the models yet - but it looks real questionable to me too. Saturday's swell is a pretty determinate problem - its all due to events far away and days ago. Today's fine adjustments in the prediction seem to have drifted ever so slightly in the bad direction.

Do we have options? Is there a NW facing beach or a site in the shadow of Catalina that could work? Is retooling this to work an option or do we just do the lemming thing in Laguna on Saturday? Can we hardess the power of the internet and get us all safely wet and well fed?

Jim

Jim, you're basic understanding is correct. We're looking at a small window of opportunity. Based on more up to date info, that window appears to be narrowing. Josh and I were going to try to dive tomorrow AM, but that starting to look questionable. Even if the beaches are open, the dive conditions may not be great.

It's still too early to make a call, but it's probably OK to talk about possible contingencies. The primary energy over the next few days will continue to be due to long period ground swell from the S (~200 Deg, 18-20 secs) and the SW (210 deg, 14-16 secs). Moving to site that has more exposure to the north or is outside the S swell window may offer better dive conditions. La Jolla Cove ... PV/Redondo areas come to mind.

p.s. this is all Dr. Bill's fault !!!!! As soon as he posted that he's coming to give Laguna another try, everything turned to $hit :wink:

Is Marineland an option in this scenario? The lot would work for food and socializing if we pulled together camp chairs and maybe a couple of card tables. I think we should actively discuss a plan B. This Winter and Spring I got blown out of Laguana 3 out of 6 attempts. Its not looking good this time.

Jim

LAJim:
I don't have as nuanced an ability to read the models yet - but it looks real questionable to me too. Saturday's swell is a pretty determinate problem - its all due to events far away and days ago. Today's fine adjustments in the prediction seem to have drifted ever so slightly in the bad direction.

Do we have options? Is there a NW facing beach or a site in the shadow of Catalina that could work? Is retooling this to work an option or do we just do the lemming thing in Laguna on Saturday? Can we hardess the power of the internet and get us all safely wet and well fed?

Jim
Some people travel great distances to get together at these events and the details such as location have become something that people know they can count on.

For us to change locations at the last minute would render our monthly get together unreliable for those travelling here from other states or even other countries.

Sometimes we get to the beach and find out that it's not a good day to dive and we have a great time anyway with the social aspect of the day. Sometimes we hear all about the horrible conditons that we'll probably have and when we show up we find out that it's acutally a great day to dive because the predictions turn out to be early or late. In many ways the Wrinkles Dive and BBQ has become as much about comeraderie and building the local dive community as it is about diving.

I think that changing locations at the last minute works well with a small group of local people, but not with a group of around 30 people some of which are travelling great distances.

I've certainly been known to go to Laguna and upon finding poor conditions called someone I knew was diving at Leo Carrillo to see how it looked up there. If they reported great conditions, we've made the last minute decision to take a road trip to Malibu and do some great diving. I just don't think that this would be the way to go with our Wrinkles event.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom