Wrist compass advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one definitive leader: SK7 on a DSS Mount. It is THE best compass. And the money difference becomes very small when you see it is overwhemingly better than the other options.

1+ for the SK-7 compass and Deep Sea Supply bungee mount.

While I like the DSS mount, I greatly prefer the Sunnto SK-5, it is a "needle reader" rather than a "card reader" like the SK-6 and SK-7.

Speaking of the SK7 and DSS mount, have you had trouble with the rotating dial coming out of the Deep Sea Supply mount?

Mine fell apart and I can't get the rotating dial to stay in the mount which renders it pretty much useless at the moment.

Have any of you had this experience?

Speaking of the SK7 and DSS mount, have you had trouble with the rotating dial coming out of the Deep Sea Supply mount?

Mine fell apart and I can't get the rotating dial to stay in the mount which renders it pretty much useless at the moment.

Have any of you had this experience?

Never had any such problems

yes again for the SK7 with DSS mount, works a treat. I have never experienced a problem with either the compass or the mount (heavy use).

I'm not blaming nor disparaging the Deep Sea Mount whatsoever, only curious to know if others had a similar issue as me in this regard.

After looking closely at this thing, I think the real issues are two fold.

1) It appears that the dial assembly (part of the SK7) turns too hard against it's nylon keeper.
2) Also maybe my bungee cords are too heavy causing the DSS mount to distort slightly allowing the key between the dial assembly and the rubber mount to come out of alignment.

Cord is 3/16 heavy duty black over white cord. I cut 'em off and that seems to help.

Both these together allow the nylon part of the dial assembly to rotate within the mount, thereby allowing the dial assembly to come free of the DSS mount.

These are the conclusion of my less than stellar mechanical engineering thinking. :wink:

I emailed Deep Sea Supply this morning and I don't expect them to have time to answer for maybe a day or so. Not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom