Wrist Compass recomendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to recommend the SK-7, like everybody else -- but over 8 years, we've had so many of them fail that we have switched to the Uwatech compasses. They're a bit less forgiving of tilt, and the numbers are smaller, which annoys my old eyes, but we have yet to have one fail.

Which Uwatec compasses would people recommend? The FS-2?

All I can find for sale is the wrist mount version. There is no way the strap will fit me (and I don't want to deal with it anyway). Can I remove the compass and put it in a bungee mount?

Other suggestions?

I used the SK-7 and went in to a dive shop to get one, and ended up buying a Storm wrist compass because of the price savings (ended up getting a light too). For the price it works well and gets the job done, but it's less forgiving when tilted. Love the light, but wish I went with the SK-7. Let us know which one you decide to go with :)

Last edited:
I'd agree with the comments above that recommend the Suunto SK7. I'd also recommend sticking with wrist mounted rather than fitting it to a guage. Much easier to access and makes navigation much more accurate!

I agree that the SK7 is a great compass, I have 2. Personally I have had a lot of trouble with the DSS mount, with bungie holes tearing. I have taken to buying SK6 compasses when I can find them, and taking them from old Suunto consoles when they come into our shop. This is a great compass, as good as SK7, with a much lower profile. They are no longer sold in the USA, but still available in Europe (got a brand new one last year in LDS in Italy).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom