Wrist Computer vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here here, I second the no wrist mounting for hunters. When loading a 100cm rail gun at depth it takes both hands to pull band. If the band slips, it tears the wrist mounted anything off and sends it to the deep.
I dive the nitek duo console, routed under my left arm and clipped off to right shoulder d-ring, with oms bottom timer hose mounted to the unit. Hands free look see anytime you want. important when battling big fish, or hanging.
my .02
Eric

For a typical rec diver who's buying his first computer and isn't doing hunting, I'd suggest a wrist mounted computer without integrated air. Even if you have integrated air, which is nice, convenient, and getting more and more reliable... you'll still need an SPG as a backup. So, not sure the expense is worth it given all the other equipment you need at this point.

I purchased a SUUNTO Vyper 2, which I like because of the size of the numbers. It's very easy to read... though it is a bit large. Honestly, I think you'd be smart to borrow a few different ones and try them on dives or at least in a pool to get a feel before dropping any cash. Just a thought.

Going against the most(till now)
After 15 years of wrist mount,now(10 years ago) gone to console(oceanic PP2 for now)
Could not be happier:D
So for the question,as many divers as many opinions:lotsalove:
good luck with your quest

I'm torn. I've been diving with an Oceanic Swiv-console. It's MUCH smaller than most "bricks" which seems to be the largest objection to consoles. There is no drag because it's on an elastic
loop that pulls it up to my right chest d-ring after passing under my left arm.

As I do more double tank/deeper/"more serious" diving, I'm leaning towards the immediacy of glancing at my wrist
instead, but I still am weighing that with my propensity for losing expensive gear, dropping it into the briney deep. I also can never forget to pack it this way. (It has my pressure gauge on it also.) I'd say if you want to try or use a console, get something really small like the Oceanic Swivel Mount.

If you are bouncing a lot and don't have your buoyancy down pat yet, a wrist mount will give you a couple of seconds' more immediate feedback, maybe more if you're a newbie and task loading while reaching for your deflator or butt dump valve.

Even though I disagree with the no consoles under any circumstances folks, I DO cringe at the
careless and stupid giant "bricks" dangling down smashing coral, etc. NO excuse for that B.S.
Magazines like Scubadiving should ban such photos from publication as it only "ok"s such cretin like behavior!

I also like it's angled up computer recess which makes it faster to look at the current depth than the flat styles.

In case you're new enough not to know, it's no big deal to pop the computer out of the rubber boot on the console to wrist mount it later. You can always put a compass in there or something else later (or leave it empty, I suppose).

Hope that helps you.

Wrist. And something with a big display. I have a Suunto D6, which is a very good computer, but some of the indicators are tiny since it is an oversized watch. I'd choose something with a big honkin' screen if I was doing this again. Built in lume, too. (The Suunto has it, but it is a pain to activate and dim. I use my dive light.)

wrist..........GEAUX TIGERS...........

Heres a new idea go with the Suunto you can go back and forth with the computer ill explain the consoles are modularly built so if your not getting an AI you need a console anyway you can add the computer to the console if you are hunting or remove it and wear it on your wrist if your not its only a matter of 4 screws best of both world remember tastes change buy things that are changeable

Right now I have the console mount. But if I ever get to upgrade to wireless AI I think I will have to go with a wrist mount.

Back
Top Bottom