Wrist Mounted Slate DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the wrist slate lays nice and flat on the wrist , you would have to try to get that thing entagled. i use 2 piece of bungee to secure so im at no less risk of losing it than say a bungeed bottom timer, when your in the middle of the ocean juggle 2 or 3 stages bottles plus a lift bag a wrist slate is easier because you dont have to reach down and find it, and its no hands operation is handy. i agree that the wet notes are easier to write on and i use them when surveying new wrecks so i can write notes and if i have to write a quick message to my buddy, on very deep dives when you may be carrying 3 or 4 different dive plans they are handy for that purpose as well. as with everything else in scuba diving you find whats best for your own personal needs and use it.

after checking i just realized this thread is in the DIR forum, im almost positive wet notes are the prefered method for DIR diving.

Hmmm, I think it depends on if they are white or black.

California Diver:
the wrist slate lays nice and flat on the wrist , you would have to try to get that thing entagled.
It's the times when it becomes entangled when I was not trying that I would be more concerned about. :wink:

when your in the middle of the ocean juggle 2 or 3 stages bottles plus a lift bag a wrist slate is easier because you dont have to reach down and find it, and its no hands operation is handy.
I mostly dive in caves, but have had plenty of experience juggling multiple bottles, scooter, etc. I've found that the easiest way to handle that situation is to deal with just one piece of equipment at a time. All your bottles should be secured before you shoot your bag, etc. It sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes to speed things up, you have to slow down. I've found that being methodical usually makes things go more smoothly.

Not to mention that if you dive standard gases all the time, then your deco procedures will become second nature to you, and you will not have to consult your deco schedules as often for profiles that you commonly dive.

i agree that the wet notes are easier to write on and i use them when
[1] surveying new wrecks so i can write notes and
[2] if i have to write a quick message to my buddy,
[3] on very deep dives when you may be carrying 3 or 4 different dive plans
So that's three situations that you can think of where Wetnotes are preferable to a wrist slate. The situations that you cited where a wrist slate would be preferable over Wetnotes are (in my opinion) more of an issue of technique than gear choice. So this begs the question regarding tasks for which you could use both:

If a wrist slate is not preferred to Wetnotes for most things, and if Wetnotes are preferred to a wrist slate for some things, then why carry both?

In other words - why carry two pieces of equipment when one will suffice? As Einstein once said "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." It applies to diving as much as to Physics :wink:

after checking i just realized this thread is in the DIR forum, im almost positive wet notes are the prefered method for DIR diving.
That's OK - we will let you post if you promise to behave yourself. :wink: And Wetnotes are preferred for DIR diving, but I am curious why they are not preferred for all types of diving.

make it somewhat difficult to easily exchange info with your team mates.

For those with Rx lenses, it often requires some unnecessary manuevering to get the other person's arm/slate in the proper depth of field to be able to read the message.

I prefer to just pass the wetnotes to my partner.

dir atlanta, (name?) sorry to confuse you i meant that I carry one or the other, if i carry both ill end up losing one :)

-tyler

California Diver:
dir atlanta, (name?) sorry to confuse you i meant that I carry one or the other, if i carry both ill end up losing one :)
Thanks for clarifying - that wasn't obvious to me from your original post. So now I'll ask a different question:

Why carry different slates for different dives? Why not just carry one writing device that can suffice for all your dives?

(OK, that's technically two questions, but they are both asking the same thing) :wink:

DIR-Atlanta:
Wetnotes are preferred for DIR diving, but I am curious why they are not preferred for all types of diving.

Because when taking pictures having a nice sized slate is useful when you manually set your white balance. I always take wet notes as well because they are small and better for many types of communication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom