Wrist Mounted vs Console Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AQUAH0LIC

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the differences between how these two types of computers work. How does the Suunto D6 wrist mounted dive computer recieve information, ie like how much tank pressure you have left? It doesnt mention that it requires a transmitter? I know that some wrist mounted dive computers use transmitters, however I have come across other wrist mounted units that dont mention using them or hoses? Is there a distinct advantage of wrist mounted over console units? Does anybody have experience with the Sunnto Cobra SQTCBCWC (Suunto "Cobra" Air/Nitrox, Air Integrated Computer Console with Compass from LeisurePro.com) ? Thanks.

DD

If a wrist mounted computer is air integrated (i.e. displays tank pressure), it gets the info wirelessly from a transmitter.

No transmitter, no tank data for wrist mounts.

Is the Suunto D6 air integrated? How would a computer work if it didnt know your tank pressure and how much you are using? How would it be able to compensate for changes in depth during your dive, as well as time?

DD

Is there a distinct advantage of wrist mounted over console units?
DD

Yea, you don't have to pick up a 3 pound brick every time you want to know your depth or dive time.

Is the Suunto D6 air integrated? How would a computer work if it didnt know your tank pressure and how much you are using? How would it be able to compensate for changes in depth during your dive, as well as time?

DD

Most computers do not monitor tank pressure. Frankly, I think it's better if they don't, as this gives a false sense of security, and once you actually start planning your dives, the feature becomes worthless.

DD

The Suunto D9 is Air-integrated...the D6 is not.

Non air integrated computers display your current depth, current dive time, and no decompression time remaining...some air integrated ones will use air remaining in your no deco time calculation...otherwise they just add air remaining to your display.

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom